• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 hospital visits, no solution, endless bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmooner

Hello, I had a question regarding possible medical malpractice. I had gone into a planned parenthood in my area due to some abnormal minor vaginal bleeding (abnormal in that I have an IUD and have not had any bleeding for about 3 years now). The nurse asked if I would like to be tested for STD's and though I was sure that was unlikely to be the issue I agreed just to be safe and have peace of mind. Once the doctor came in she was insensitive, rude and quick to let me know that she thought I had chlamydia even though the test results would not come back for another week. She was very callous the entire time I tried talking to her and she insisted I take one large dose of azythromycin to treat said chlamydia. The next day I took the prescription after I got off of work and about an hour or so after I had a relatively serious allergic reaction and was hospitalized until stable. The week after, test results came back, no chlamydia like I tried to tell the doctor. So the medical issue was not resolved and I was hospitalized from a prescription the doctor wasn't even sure if I needed or not and am now faced with them sending me a medical bill for the visit every 2 weeks. I don't think I would necessarily want to take serious legal action if it were possible, but I just don't feel I should pay for that experience. Any advice?

CdwJava

About all you can do is bring this to a couple of medical malpractice attorneys and see what they have to say. I strongly suspect that the accounts of the doctor and the nurse may vary from yours, but, it will likely cost you only time to consult a couple of attorneys.

quincy

Hello, I had a question regarding possible medical malpractice. I had gone into a planned parenthood in my area due to some abnormal minor vaginal bleeding (abnormal in that I have an IUD and have not had any bleeding for about 3 years now). The nurse asked if I would like to be tested for STD's and though I was sure that was unlikely to be the issue I agreed just to be safe and have peace of mind. Once the doctor came in she was insensitive, rude and quick to let me know that she thought I had chlamydia even though the test results would not come back for another week. She was very callous the entire time I tried talking to her and she insisted I take one large dose of azythromycin to treat said chlamydia. The next day I took the prescription after I got off of work and about an hour or so after I had a relatively serious allergic reaction and was hospitalized until stable. The week after, test results came back, no chlamydia like I tried to tell the doctor. So the medical issue was not resolved and I was hospitalized from a prescription the doctor wasn't even sure if I needed or not and am now faced with them sending me a medical bill for the visit every 2 weeks. I don't think I would necessarily want to take serious legal action if it were possible, but I just don't feel I should pay for that experience. Any advice?
What is the name of your state, pmooner?

Here is a link to the side effects possible with azithromycin single-dose treatment for chlamydia:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/azithromycin-single-dose-packet.html

These warnings are included with the prescription.

Proserpina

If there is ever any doubt or question about whether or not you should take any particular medication, you should always - and I do mean always - press for a full explanation of why it's being prescribed and/or recommended. If you're still not comfortable, seek a second opinion.

We all know to get a second (and possibly third) opinion when it comes to surgery we're not sure about but for some reason we tend to forget to do that when it comes to medication.

I do not see a case here at all. Sorry.

tranquility

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/214823-treatment

Since there are a number of reasons for non-compliance with treatment, the standard of care is increasingly a single in-office dose before test results come back. Here, the OP got a prescription. Malpractice is not a bad result to a treatment, but a treatment that falls below the standard of care. Unless the OP disclosed prior sensitivity to the class of antibiotic used (Or the doctor didn't ask in the history.), I don't really see how this falls below the standard of care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">