• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse laws in Nebraska?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papershuffler

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

am a caregiver in an assisted living facility for disabled, a group home. when i first began working here, everything was documented and reported if it was anything close to abuse, any hitting, name calling, etc. now our bosses tell us not to even bother unless it leaves a mark that's still there a couple hours later.

something just doesn't sound right about this and i'm just not comfortable with it. Some of the clients are getting more aggressive lately and the more vulnerable ones are really suffering.

i'm wondering if the law changed or if my bosses just don't want to deal with the extra paperwork and scrutiny it involves???
thanks
papershuffler

ashkyla

Do what you think is right.

I very much doubt that the laws have changed. If they had, it probably would have been on the news, since nursing homes and such are under extreme scrutiny right now.

If your boss doesn't want to deal with the paperwork (which is honestly what it sounds like), keep your own records, seperate from those you're required to file. Like a journal, or something similar.

Regardless of the actual requirements of the policy of the company you work for, or the law on the subject, if someone's family feels that they were mistreated, they will sue, even if detailed records were kept, filed, reported and all of that.

Your best bet is to keep track of what's going on when, and possibly make a few discreet phone calls about what exactly is required of you by state law.

ellencee

ashkyla said:
Do what you think is right.

I very much doubt that the laws have changed. If they had, it probably would have been on the news, since nursing homes and such are under extreme scrutiny right now.

If your boss doesn't want to deal with the paperwork (which is honestly what it sounds like), keep your own records, seperate from those you're required to file. Like a journal, or something similar.

Regardless of the actual requirements of the policy of the company you work for, or the law on the subject, if someone's family feels that they were mistreated, they will sue, even if detailed records were kept, filed, reported and all of that.

Your best bet is to keep track of what's going on when, and possibly make a few discreet phone calls about what exactly is required of you by state law.
Following this advice is a certain path to self-destruction. More appropriate advice is to document the actions of the clients as it occurs. In situations where client X stikes client Y, document in each client's record.
If you believe your employer has asked you to do something illegal (to not document events), follow the same procedure that is posted for the benefit of clients and family members who have concerns and/or complaints.

Nebraska's Assisted Living Facilities are licensed and regulated by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Regulation and Licensure. Call this department and request the appropriate regulations on documentation of events. Find out your specific job duties and requirements as an unlicensed caregiver.

Do not in any way keep a journal of information on clients without their knowledge and permission or you may place yourself and your employer in direct violation of HIPAA laws.

EC

papershuffler

Thanks for your replies. right now i'm in the process of the "discreet inquiries" just by asking around on this board. i realize that this is a situation where rash actions can have some really serious consequences for all concerned.
thanks
papershuffler

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">