• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ambulance charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardengirl

California and Idaho
My son (age 20) flew into Monterey airport to attend a soccer team tryout at Cal State Monterey Bay. We live in Idaho. On his return trip, he was feeling bad at the the airport, with stomach cramps, but boarded the plane anyway. he was thirsty, but there were no water fountains, just machines with water for $2.50, so he didn't buy any.
On the runway, he indicated to the flight attendants that he was feeling bad, so the pilots called an ambulance, and they returned to the gate. My son was taken to the hospital, a total of 6 miles, and was then treated there for dehydration. The ambulance charge was $1298.64 PLUS mileage of $162.78. His insurance only paid $251, and they are billing my son now for $1,062.87 after adjustments.
Is there any way he can contest this charge? It seems very high, and he doesn't have any money - any way to fight it?

seniorjudge

Q: Is there any way he can contest this charge? It seems very high, and he doesn't have any money - any way to fight it?

A: On what grounds?

gardengirl

ambulance charges

perhaps on the grounds that he didn't make the call, or he had no idea what ambulances charge, or he was dehydrated and there was no water fountain available and he had already gone through security, so unless he had money to use the machines, he couldn't get a drink. Or, he was young and dumb??

lealea1005

perhaps on the grounds that he didn't make the call, or he had no idea what ambulances charge, or he was dehydrated and there was no water fountain available and he had already gone through security, so unless he had money to use the machines, he couldn't get a drink. Or, he was young and dumb??
The flight attendant made the appropriate call. You son also made the aprropriate call by notifying the flight attendant BEFORE departure. Being dehydrated, his condition could have deteriorated quickly. You can always give it a shot by calling the ambulance service to set up a payment plan or attempt to negotiate the fee.

You son, who is an athlete, should chalk this up as a life lesson, albeit an expensive one....carry water and stay hydrated!!

Good luck! Did he make the team?

gardengirl

ambulance charges

Lealea - thanks for asking - he did make the team! So, that is the good news...and, he did learn a lesson about taking charge of your needs, even if it isn't convenient or easy.. the charges from that, though, pretty much wipe out the scholarship award, so at least financially he is in the hole from the get-go

seniorjudge

None of these are defenses.

seniorjudge

Lealea - thanks for asking - he did make the team! So, that is the good news...and, he did learn a lesson about taking charge of your needs, even if it isn't convenient or easy.. the charges from that, though, pretty much wipe out the scholarship award, so at least financially he is in the hole from the get-go
McDonald's is hiring.

(I cleaned toilets for my scholarship money.)

lealea1005

I'd still give the ambulance company a call and see what you may be able to negotiate. Sometimes, they will cut you a break because of circumstances. Good luck to you and your son.

xylene

Another life lesson - pick battles.

If your son is as judgement proof as you suggest, then simply be a deadbeat, don't pay and the charges will eventually be written off or the less likely event is he will be sued. Either way your sons credit impacted negatively. No blood from turnips. :rolleyes:

A person living of modest means with a meager income does not need to use credit, and there are finance options for those with bad credit.

Son could also get a personal loan on a 48 time frame from a local credit union and pay the bill and then repay the modest monthly payments. ;)

I wouldn't pay, but I think the not being a dead beat might be the better plan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Either way your sons credit impacted negatively. No blood from turnips. :rolleyes:
Bad advice -

If this turns in to a judgment, it's valid and renewable for a LONG time. Do you think the boy will NEVER make money?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

xylene

Perhaps it was unclear with my message that not paying would be short sighted and using words like deadbeat were instead chosen to make it sound like a winning solution.

Zigner

Perhaps it was unclear with my message that not paying would be short sighted and using words like deadbeat were instead chosen to make it sound like a winning solution.
Ahhh, sarcasm - I've heard of that! ;)
(my apologies)

ecmst12

You haven't picked up on Xylene's love of sarcasm yet?

The BEST thing to do would be to contact your insurance company and find out WHY they are not paying all charges associated with emergency care. Is there a deductible that needs to be satisfied, or is there some other reason?

Zigner

You haven't picked up on Xylene's love of sarcasm yet?

The BEST thing to do would be to contact your insurance company and find out WHY they are not paying all charges associated with emergency care. Is there a deductible that needs to be satisfied, or is there some other reason?
Xylene can be subtle - I like that :D

gardengirl

huh?

Thanks Xzlene, but I am not sure what you are trying to say...

"If your son is as judgement proof as you suggest, then simply be a deadbeat, don't pay and the charges will eventually be written off or the less likely event is he will be sued. Either way your sons credit impacted negatively. No blood from turnips. " OK, I get this, but don't think he wants to start life off that way...

"A person living of modest means with a meager income does not need to use credit, and there are finance options for those with bad credit. " Not too sure I know what you are trying to say, "a person...meager income does not need to use credit..." ???

"Son could also get a personal loan on a 48 time frame from a local credit union and pay the bill and then repay the modest monthly payments. " I suspect that he would be better off trying to get a payment plan from the service provider than taking out a loan

"I wouldn't pay, but I think the not being a dead beat might be the better plan." YOU wouldn't pay it? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">