• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amputation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aloneforever317

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My sister had a below the knee amputation. Her insurance will not cover rehab or a nursing home. The hospital is getting ready to send her home. She lives alone. We can not be with her 24 /7 because of work. If she gets hurt, can we sue the hospital?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My sister had a below the knee amputation. Her insurance will not cover rehab or a nursing home. The hospital is getting ready to send her home. She lives alone. We can not be with her 24 /7 because of work. If she gets hurt, can we sue the hospital?
No.

ETA: Well, not successfully.

quincy

Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to care for your sister part time in exchange for free room and board? Even though this is not a guarantee your sister will not have difficulties and perhaps get hurt while she is adjusting to living with one leg, this type of at-home care has worked well for my grandparents.

Like Zigner, though, I do not see that your sister could sue the hospital if she injures herself while at home. And you would not be able to sue the hospital at all (or, as Zigner said, at least successfully).

Last edited:

ecmst12

You should meet with a case manager to see what services she will need to help her adjust to life after her amputation and how she can get them. They shouldn't just discharge her without a care plan in place. She doesn't necessarily need 24/7 care though. If she doesn't have other problems that you haven't mentioned, she should eventually be able to return to her prior level of functioning or close to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">