• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Approaching Doctor to Review Another Doctor's Actions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ben770

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Called a lawyer yesterday to talk about a possible medical malpractice suit. Apparently I'm supposed to get a letter from another doctor saying the first doctor, "did not behave in a manner an average doctor would".

Now, it's my strong feeling he didn't, but I'm concerned about approaching the other doctor.

He's the doctor I've been seeing since I gave up on the other doctor and really don't want to tick him off. Because, I've been very happy with his service and don't want to have to find a new doctor. He knows my situation even though I have not complained very much about the other doctor to him. But, I know from talking to other doctors socially, that doctors flip out any time "the M word" comes up.

Someone can give me advice how to approach him to ask him to review the other doctor's actions?

I have been seeing this new doctor for almost 2 years, beginning at the time I gave up on the other doctor.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Litigation!

ben770 said:

Someone can give me advice how to approach him to ask him to review the other doctor's actions?

My response:

When you have a "legal" question, let us know.

IAAL

ben770

This isn't a common issue when dealing with mal practise? Just wondering if there's any courtesy or basic etiquette I should be aware of. No way my new doctor is going to sit there and listen to somebody talk about a mal practise case without in the back of his mind be thinking about how he believes the insurance companies screw doctors, like all doctors do.

Is it common to just use a third doctor for something like this?

Last edited:

barry1817

ben770 said:

Called a lawyer yesterday to talk about a possible medical malpractice suit. Apparently I'm supposed to get a letter from another doctor saying the first doctor, "did not behave in a manner an average doctor would".

Now, it's my strong feeling he didn't, but I'm concerned about approaching the other doctor.

He's the doctor I've been seeing since I gave up on the other doctor and really don't want to tick him off. Because, I've been very happy with his service and don't want to have to find a new doctor. He knows my situation even though I have not complained very much about the other doctor to him. But, I know from talking to other doctors socially, that doctors flip out any time "the M word" comes up.

I have been seeing this new doctor for almost 2 years, beginning at the time I gave up on the other doctor.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

If you think you have a malpractice suit, you should be contacting an attorney and allowing him to find the doctor that will review the case for you.

That way you will not alienate your physician, and you will allow his chart record to be reviewed by an independent third party.

[email protected]

ben770

Thanks Barry. What you said is what was kind of ticking in my mind. I don't think I'm going to hire that lawyer that I talked to yesterday. He had no real interest in talking to me it seemed until I had that letter. And, this was what I was trying to ask, how to go about getting that letter....

I'll call another lawyer tomorrow.

Thanks again Barry.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Did the attorney inform you of the statute of limitaitons?
Since you haven't even mentioned what you believe to be mal practice, it is very possible that you don't have a case and that is why the attorney is asking if you have a doctor willing to testify.

barry1817

malpractice

rmet4nzkx said:
Did the attorney inform you of the statute of limitaitons?
Since you haven't even mentioned what you believe to be mal practice, it is very possible that you don't have a case and that is why the attorney is asking if you have a doctor willing to testify.

It is my experience that a judge needs an expert in the field, thus the report, to allow a case to go forward.

So it doesn't matter what any lay person thinks, at this time about the merit, the matter needs a medical person to say that a problem exists.

The rest of the time can be then spent finding out the true facts.

As to $3000 for the report, while it seems high, a doctor needs to read all pertinent information and write the report.

How lengthy are the charts?
How much time do you expect him to spend?

That is worth asking as well.

[email protected]

rmet4nzkx

barry1817 said:
It is my experience that a judge needs an expert in the field, thus the report, to allow a case to go forward.

So it doesn't matter what any lay person thinks, at this time about the merit, the matter needs a medical person to say that a problem exists.

The rest of the time can be then spent finding out the true facts.

As to $3000 for the report, while it seems high, a doctor needs to read all pertinent information and write the report.

How lengthy are the charts?
How much time do you expect him to spend?

That is worth asking as well.

[email protected]
Barry,
What are you talking about?
OP is being asked to provide a letter establishing the Standard of Care for that particular discipline, something a competent med mal attorney should be able to do before they accept a case, so either OP has a case that may have merit but nor financially practical to prosecute or the attorney is not competent to take the case and thus asking OP to do their leg work or a combination of the two. If OP has a case, the attorney will contract with the experts re further involvement.

OP hasn't even asked a question yet or provided any facts re what they believe to be malpractice or their injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">