• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Atorney fees and cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetbracero

Be nice to the volunteers on this forum. Zigner provided you with an answer to your question based on the way you worded your question.

You're welcome.
I am a nice person. I acknowledged that my question was perhaps not specific enough. What was the point of Zinger telling me that this was not a math forum? I know a veiled insult when I see one.

Proserpina

It is obvious from your post that you are not an attorney, and your rude,crude attempt at analysis of my intent shows that you are not a psychologist either. Bye Felecia!
If you're going to try to use a pop-culture insult at least have the common decency to spell it right.

"Felicia".

Good grief.

quincy

I suppose I could have traveled out to Florida, studied, passed the bar, then reviewed the OP's contract to see what she would actually be liable for. Silly me for not doing so.
You mean you didn't do this? :eek:

janetbracero, you should read the NOTICE that appears at the bottom of every page on this forum. If you are asking for free advice from the members of this forum, who are ALL volunteers (attorney members and non-attorney members alike), you should be appreciative of anyone who takes the time to respond.

I recommend you take the advice that you find helpful, leave behind what you don't find helpful, and then thank everyone for their input. Common manners.

Proserpina

I am a nice person. I acknowledged that my question was perhaps not specific enough. What was the point of Zinger telling me that this was not a math forum? I know a veiled insult when I see one.

You're actually an arrogant little girl with a grossly inflated sense of entitlement.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Just a quick question. In a nursing home abuse case, what are the typical atorney fees and costs deducted out of a 90,000 setlement? The contract states 40 percent based on the fact that suit has been filed, but we are settling months before the trial date , and before depositions. Anaybody out there have even a ballpark figure on attorney costs ? Attorney has not sent any computations yet, only a release for me to sign.
If the attorney hired an expert to review the medical records, that would be a cost, and likely an expensive one. If they needed an investigator to find out what happened, that would be a cost.

You would have to check your agreement to see if fees are calculated before or after costs. I would guess the 40% would come right off the top. Any costs come next, and you would be left with whatever is left.

Without knowing the details of the case, nobody can guess what the costs would be.

tranquility

It is obvious from your post that you are not an attorney, and your rude,crude attempt at analysis of my intent shows that you are not a psychologist either. Bye Felecia!
Latigo is.....is......is.....um....problematical; I suspect he is or was an attorney. (Or, an awesome fake. If so, well done sir.)

I agree he is not a psychologist.

ecmst12

Admin has vetted Latigo.

You pay the attorney 40% PLUS costs. Costs could be deducted either before or after the contingency fee is paid, that will depend on your contract. But there's no way that anyone outside of your attorney's office could guess at the costs involved in your specific case, they can vary massively. Your attorney will provide you with a full accounting.

LdiJ

You probably still are not being specific enough. You came across as though you were hoping to pay the attorney less than the contingency fee. However, if you are asking about costs over and above the contingency fee, then you should have been specific about that. If it settled quickly, there probably are not a lot of costs over and above the contingency fee.

I'mTheFather

According to quincy's link:

Medical Malpractice Cases: Article I, Section 26 of the Florida Constitution limits the amount of the contingent fee that an attorney may charge in a medical malpractice case. The constitution provides that a client is entitled to no less than 70% of the first $250,000 in damages excluding costs, and 90% of all damages over $250,000, excluding costs. However, some attorneys who represent clients in medical malpractice cases charge a fee that is more than the constitution’s fee limit.
Did you agree to a larger contingency fee percentage?

quincy

According to quincy's link:

Did you agree to a larger contingency fee percentage?
Thank you for copying some of the information from the link, I'mTheFather. I have often wondered if anyone actually uses the links to read what is there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">