• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Atorney fees and cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetbracero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Just a quick question. In a nursing home abuse case, what are the typical atorney fees and costs deducted out of a 90,000 setlement? The contract states 40 percent based on the fact that suit has been filed, but we are settling months before the trial date , and before depositions. Anaybody out there have even a ballpark figure on attorney costs ? Attorney has not sent any computations yet, only a release for me to sign.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Just a quick question. In a nursing home abuse case, what are the typical atorney fees and costs deducted out of a 90,000 setlement? The contract states 40 percent based on the fact that suit has been filed, but we are settling months before the trial date , and before depositions. Anaybody out there have even a ballpark figure on attorney costs ? Attorney has not sent any computations yet, only a release for me to sign.
This isn't a math forum, but I can tell you that 40% of $90,000 is $36,000.

janetbracero

This isn't a math forum, but I can tell you that 40% of $90,000 is $36,000.
Either my question was not specific enough, or you are definately not an attorney. I am well aware that this is not a math forum. I was asking what are the typical attorney COSTS associated with a nursing home abuse case. I am well aware and able to calculate the attorney fees of 40 percent. Nonetheless, thanks for at least reading and responding to the post.

Zigner

Either my question was not specific enough, or you are definately not an attorney. I am well aware that this is not a math forum. I was asking what are the typical attorney COSTS associated with a nursing home abuse case. I am well aware and able to calculate the attorney fees of 40 percent. Nonetheless, thanks for at least reading and responding to the post.
I am definitely not an attorney. Did I say I was? :confused: Your question is irrelevant since you already have an agreement in place. Your cost, according to the information you posted, is going to be 40% of $90,000.

latigo

Just a quick question. In a nursing home abuse case, what are the typical atorney [sic] fees and costs deducted out of a 90,000 setlement [sic]? The contract states 40 percent based on the fact that suit has been filed, but we are settling months before the trial date , and before depositions. Anaybody [sic]out there have even a ballpark figure on attorney costs ? Attorney has not sent any computations yet, only a release for me to sign.
"Ball park figure"?

You aren't looking for any such numbers. What you are looking for is a way you can weasel out of what is obviously a contingency fee agreement or whittling it down because the case may be settled short of going to trial. Fugetaboutit! It ain't going to happen.

And where did you attempt to learn how to spell the English language?

LdiJ

Here is the thing...

When an attorney takes a case on contingency the attorney is hoping/betting that the actual cost of representation will be no greater than the contingency amount. The client has the advantage of not having to pay any money up front, and also hopes that the contingency amount will be less than they might have had to pay hourly.

If a case settles quickly, the attorney benefits. If a case takes forever, the attorney gets hosed.

quincy

Here is a link to a Florida Bar Association consumer pamphlet on attorney fees:

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/48e76203493b82ad852567090070c9b9/afb630a0b709b85b85256b2f006c61d1?OpenDocument

A lot of expenses can be deducted from any settlement and a client should be informed of these expenses before signing any contingency fee agreement.

janetbracero

I am definitely not an attorney. Did I say I was? :confused: Your question is irrelevant since you already have an agreement in place. Your cost, according to the information you posted, is going to be 40% of $90,000.
You should not post responses in this forum because you lack basic legal knowledge and that is such a disservice to people needing advice. A case consists of attorney fees and costs, so your most recent response is irrelevant. The attorney fees are 40 percent duh, I was asking about the costs associated with this type of case.

janetbracero

Here is the thing...

When an attorney takes a case on contingency the attorney is hoping/betting that the actual cost of representation will be no greater than the contingency amount. The client has the advantage of not having to pay any money up front, and also hopes that the contingency amount will be less than they might have had to pay hourly.

If a case settles quickly, the attorney benefits. If a case takes forever, the attorney gets hosed.
Thank you.

quincy

You should not post responses in this forum because you lack basic legal knowledge and that is such a disservice to people needing advice. A case consists of attorney fees and costs, so your most recent response is irrelevant. The attorney fees are 40 percent duh, I was asking about the costs associated with this type of case.
Be nice to the volunteers on this forum. Zigner provided you with an answer to your question based on the way you worded your question.

You're welcome.

Zigner

Just a quick question. In a nursing home abuse case, what are the typical atorney fees and costs deducted out of a 90,000 setlement?
Sure you were.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zigner

I suppose I could have traveled out to Florida, studied, passed the bar, then reviewed the OP's contract to see what she would actually be liable for. Silly me for not doing so.

janetbracero

"Ball park figure"?

You aren't looking for any such numbers. What you are looking for is a way you can weasel out of what is obviously a contingency fee agreement or whittling it down because the case may be settled short of going to trial. Fugetaboutit! It ain't going to happen.

And where did you attempt to learn how to spell the English language?
It is obvious from your post that you are not an attorney, and your rude,crude attempt at analysis of my intent shows that you are not a psychologist either. Bye Felecia!

Zigner

It is obvious from your post that you are not an attorney, and your rude,crude attempt at analysis of my intent shows that you are not a psychologist either. Bye Felecia!
Now you're just a moron. You found the one attorney that DID post and badmouthed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">