• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AUTISM 10 Year Old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emt40214

My son attended a self contained school that provided a Doctor and Therapist. He attended and recieved services from the Doctor for 4 years. He diagnosed my son with multiple mental illnesses and treated him with what I know was the wrong medicine. I told this Doctor of my suspicion of Autism from the research I had done. He told me to quit getting info online and let him do his job. Eventually my baby who is 10 was covered in bruises from the "safety holds" at the school and was drooling and lethargic. After a two month stay in the hospital he came out with 1 diagnosis, AUTISM. Imagine that. I personally as mother feel like there is damage done from the medicine. Just one medicine. When I tried to speak my piece about the medicine I was shot down. They would much rather have a school full of medicine takers to stay focused right? Ha. Anyhow I dont know what to do about this or if it is moral. If the Doc had listened to me my baby might not be drooling now.....

las365

I'm sorry about your situation, but it was your responsibility to get a second, or third, or however many opinions about your son's diagnosis and treatment. Was there some reason that your sn could not be seen by any doctor other than the one provided by the school? Is it a private or publicly funded school?

emt40214

What is the name of the medication that has you so concerned?
My son was started on Concerta years ago and stayed on it for 4 years, and that is the medicine I am concerned about. Before that he was on all the other common medicines for ADHD.

emt40214

I'm sorry about your situation, but it was your responsibility to get a second, or third, or however many opinions about your son's diagnosis and treatment. Was there some reason that your sn could not be seen by any doctor other than the one provided by the school? Is it a private or publicly funded school?
My son has had a second opinion and his third opinion is the opinion that FINALLY has us on the right track. The medicine was discontinued by his new doctor. The school he did attend was a public self contained school with a very bad reputation which I know now. I believed it would benefit him having all of his caregivers under one roof for communication purposes. My son first had signs of Autism around 8 months and definate signs around 18 months. The doctor didn't want to hear about it. Thankfully now we have a doctor that is Autism educated. My question is, should I try to do something, or should I let that doctor screw up someone elses child?

las365

The school he did attend was a public self contained school with a very bad reputation which I know now. I believed it would benefit him having all of his caregivers under one roof for communication purposes.
You are right, one would think that it would be an advantage.

Since the school is a public school, you will have to face issues of immunity from civil liablity if you want to pursue a lawsuit. I do not know how that would affect a potential medical malpractice claim. It certainly complicates it, if it doesn't outright bar it.

Education law is a specialized area and I don't know much about it. You could seek a consultation with an attorney who practices in that area to discover whether there is a case for discrimination based on disability. Even as I type that, it sounds like a shot in the dark. I'm not suggesting it's a viable legal claim, just throwing it out there.

You may want to file a complaint with the agency in your state that licenses doctors. If you haven't already, you can look into how to most effectively bring the matter to the attention of the school board. You may also want to see whether you can interest your local media in doing an investigative piece to bring attention to the situation.

Do you know the parents of other children who have had similar problems with this school/doctor? Sometimes there is strength in numbers as far as getting action in cases like this.

p.s. all of the suggestions above are based on the assumption that the doctor's treatment was inappropriate or below the standard of care, which may or may not be the case. Sorry I can't be of more help.

emt40214

You are right, one would think that it would be an advantage.

Since the school is a public school, you will have to face issues of immunity from civil liablity if you want to pursue a lawsuit. I do not know how that would affect a potential medical malpractice claim. It certainly complicates it, if it doesn't outright bar it.

Education law is a specialized area and I don't know much about it. You could seek a consultation with an attorney who practices in that area to discover whether there is a case for discrimination based on disability. Even as I type that, it sounds like a shot in the dark. I'm not suggesting it's a viable legal claim, just throwing it out there.

You may want to file a complaint with the agency in your state that licenses doctors. If you haven't already, you can look into how to most effectively bring the matter to the attention of the school board. You may also want to see whether you can interest your local media in doing an investigative piece to bring attention to the situation.

Do you know the parents of other children who have had similar problems with this school/doctor? Sometimes there is strength in numbers as far as getting action in cases like this.

p.s. all of the suggestions above are based on the assumption that the doctor's treatment was inappropriate or below the standard of care, which may or may not be the case. Sorry I can't be of more help.
You have been a great help!! Thank you. I know other parents with complaints of the school and plenty that refused to send their child there. When my son first went there for 1st grade it fit but now he will be in 5th grade and his acedemics are horrible. He is high fuctioning with sensory and aggression. At the bad school they do not pay attention to academics, only behavior. My 4th grader had 2x2 type math homework. As far as it going to the media...someone beat me to it. SAME type story as far as the school, but it wasn't the same school. I also have not gone to the media because I do not want to make my son's life any more complicated than it already is and if I did that I fear he would have an even harder time.
Thank you for your knowledge:)

lya

Concerta is an approved, tried and successful, medication for the treatment of autism. You will not be able to prevail in your argument that Concerta, though given for another diagnosis, was an improper medication or that the adverse effects were caused by negligence.

Remember, also, that all treatment of Autism is considered experimental as no sure treatment has been found. Autism, like many other diseases or conditions, is person-specific; thus, what works with one person may not work with another person.

emt40214

Concerta is an approved, tried and successful, medication for the treatment of autism. You will not be able to prevail in your argument that Concerta, though given for another diagnosis, was an improper medication or that the adverse effects were caused by negligence.

Remember, also, that all treatment of Autism is considered experimental as no sure treatment has been found. Autism, like many other diseases or conditions, is person-specific; thus, what works with one person may not work with another person.
Thank you. Test I have researched have proven that Concerta with Aspergers/mild Autism can cause serious behavior problems. My son was diagnosed with ADHD early in life and given multiple ADHD meds with NO positive result, but it was continued because the teachers that attened appointments suggested he stay on it. I found out recently that ADHD is not the culprit, and probably never has been. Basically, if my son had been given the PROPER diagnosis he may not be having some of the difficulties he has now.

Ps. I love your quote.

lya

My answer to you is based on medical fact. Concerta is an approved and effective treatment for Autism. Concerta, like every other medicaton used for Autism, has the potential for results that are not desired.

Although you did not state so, I believe you understand that because Concerta is an approved medication for Autism, regardless of why it was given, a medmal claim of improper medication will, most likely, not "fly".

You have nothing to lose by discussing this with a medmal attorney, just be sure to include in your discussion that you have been told that Concerta is approved for Autism and medical research and information stating such is available online.

I'm glad you like the quote. I am/was quite an enthusiastic fan of Stargate SG 1 and I love the alien race known as the "Nox".

Best wishes to you and your family,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">