• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad case of Veneers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

backdraft37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

About 15 months ago I went in to a local Dental office for a cleaning, but before I knew it the office had talked me into 6 Veneers (upper K9 to K9).
The Doctor that prepped my teeth for Veneers was a temp, and only after a few months the Veneers started to crack and fall apart. After about 25 visits and 4 Dentist's later, I found out the orginal Doctor who had prepped my teeth screwed up. The temp Doctor prepped my teeth for Crowns, but put on Veneers! Also causing my gums serious problems which will need treatment for the next year or so.
So after all of the pain and suffering and the 25 trips to the Dental Office I decided to do something about my horrible experiences. I called and spoke with the district manager for this Dental Office (Bright now Dental) and basicaly told her about my horrible experiences, and that I would never go back to my local office.
She was somewhat understanding and referred me to another branch and Doctor.
After my visit to this new office, and new Doctor, he decided taking off the 6 Veneers and putting on 6 new Lumineers would be best, but they wanted to charge me for the differnece in price of the Veneers!
I called the district manager and told her that I had received some legal advice, and that she needed to do everything in her power to make me happy, or I was going to get a Lawyer.
So about 5 hours later, the district manager called me back and told me everything will be taken care of and I wasn't going to have to pay for anything. The original Dental office was going to pay for everything.

Looking back at everything, and remembering all the negative aspects I had to go through from the horrible Dentist to the sexual harrasment I recieved from the office manager. I'm a male if your wondering, men get harrased to you know. lol
I dont think I should let bygones be bygones, I should fight this to the end and recieve something for my pain and suffering. I did make at least 25 visits to the dental office over a 15 month period, with approximately 1 to 2 hours in a chair each visit and about 50 shots of Lidocaine.
Ive been to the dentist more times in the past 15 months then some people in there whole life!
Something needs to be! Plese Help!
Thanks
Dennis F
Redlands, Ca

ecmst12

You don't get pain and suffering when you don't have permanent damages. You are getting your problem fixed at no cost to you, that is ALL they are obligated to do, and in fact they would legally been within their rights to charge you the difference. Quit being an ungrateful whiney bitch and enjoy your free lumineers.

backdraft37

No permanent damages?

No permanent damages?
I'm now twice as likely to have coronary artery disease and and Vascular Disease.
I'm a Fireman and I take my health very serious. We Firemen die from Coronary and Vascular problems all the time, it's a big problem within the fire service. You just don't here about the deaths unless it involves a burning building.
Also didn't you read the part where I said: my gums serious problems which will need treatment for the next year or so....Now I'm being told that its more of a lifetime issue.
I wish I can upload a picture of my gums after they took off the Veneers. Then you could see what I'm talking about.

And you call me a "ungrateful whiney bitch"?
You have no clue what Ive been Thurugh in the last 15 months. I'm starting to wondering what you do for a living?
So maybe you should keep your advice to a personal level!
free lumineers?
Yeah not so much, I paid over $6000 for 6 made in China ****ty Veneers!

Fact:American Heart Association that studied 657 people without known heart disease. He and his co-authors found that people who had higher blood levels of certain disease-causing bacteria in the mouth were more likely to have atherosclerosis in the carotid artery in the neck. Clogging of the carotid arteries can lead to stroke.

barry1817

bad dental

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

About 15 months ago I went in to a local Dental office for a cleaning, but before I knew it the office had talked me into 6 Veneers (upper K9 to K9).
The Doctor that prepped my teeth for Veneers was a temp, and only after a few months the Veneers started to crack and fall apart. After about 25 visits and 4 Dentist's later, I found out the orginal Doctor who had prepped my teeth screwed up. The temp Doctor prepped my teeth for Crowns, but put on Veneers! Also causing my gums serious problems which will need treatment for the next year or so.
So after all of the pain and suffering and the 25 trips to the Dental Office I decided to do something about my horrible experiences. I called and spoke with the district manager for this Dental Office (Bright now Dental) and basicaly told her about my horrible experiences, and that I would never go back to my local office.
She was somewhat understanding and referred me to another branch and Doctor.
After my visit to this new office, and new Doctor, he decided taking off the 6 Veneers and putting on 6 new Lumineers would be best, but they wanted to charge me for the differnece in price of the Veneers!
I called the district manager and told her that I had received some legal advice, and that she needed to do everything in her power to make me happy, or I was going to get a Lawyer.
So about 5 hours later, the district manager called me back and told me everything will be taken care of and I wasn't going to have to pay for anything. The original Dental office was going to pay for everything.

Looking back at everything, and remembering all the negative aspects I had to go through from the horrible Dentist to the sexual harrasment I recieved from the office manager. I'm a male if your wondering, men get harrased to you know. lol
I dont think I should let bygones be bygones, I should fight this to the end and recieve something for my pain and suffering. I did make at least 25 visits to the dental office over a 15 month period, with approximately 1 to 2 hours in a chair each visit and about 50 shots of Lidocaine.
Ive been to the dentist more times in the past 15 months then some people in there whole life!
Something needs to be! Plese Help!
Thanks

A malpractice action needs to show negligence, which might be shown by the treatment, the multiple visits and the replacement

One has to show the negligence caused harm, and you might have a case if the work was done so that the gum problems that you experience has to be traced to the faulty placement of the veneers.

You have to show monetary damages, and that usually doesn't include time in the dental chair to correct a problem.

If I were to review your case I would be most interested in the gum problems that you are concerned with, because if the veneers aren't correct the gum problems will always be there, which might be a big cause for concern.

To better understand the situation you should contact a malpractice attorney who would probably want a consultation to exam your mouth for the perio condition, and to review what was done, and then advise you of your options.

I would also be interested in the informed consent, if you had one, and what the reason was for the veneers.

With what you say is excessive removal of tooth structure for the veneers I would also question the need to replace them in the future and that should be figured into any costs that are determined, if there should be any avenue to pursue.

Last edited by a moderator:

backdraft37

great info

Wow thanks for the info, so how does this work?
Are you a Attorney? If so what state are you in?
And how quick can I get this started? I'm going back to the dentist to have the temporary veneers taken off, and have the new Lumineers put on in a week.
I also have pictures that I made the dentist send me, they were pictures of my gums when he took off the 6 veneers.
Thanks

barry1817

dental payment

Wow thanks for the info, so how does this work?
Are you a Attorney? If so what state are you in?
And how quick can I get this started? I'm going back to the dentist to have the temporary veneers taken off, and have the new Lumineers put on in a week.
I also have pictures that I made the dentist send me, they were pictures of my gums when he took off the 6 veneers.
Thanks
You would have to find a lawyer that specializes in medical/dental malpractice issues and discuss this with him, and see if he also feels that there might be recourse. Being wronged and recovering are two very different things, and the amount of damages can affect whether or not a case is worth going forward with.

When I read a post, I always accept what the posting person says in true, with the caveat that all usually isn't in black and white and their can be grey areas.

I have seen dental mills where more inexperienced dentists are asked to treat in a manner that is beyond their scope, in conditions that are not going to allow for the best results. When I read your post that is what came to mind.

I also had to laugh that somebody might say that you should suck it up and stop whinning, because I would have to think what that person would say, or do, if what you described had happened to them or to a person that they loved. Somewho I don't think that they would tell a loved one to stop whinning and that no harm was done, as they transport their loved one back and forth for the number of visits you stated. I might be wrong on that, but it hasn't been my experience in such cases.

I am not stating that an attorney will take the case, again I have seen great cases declined because there is no hope of financial to justify a lawyer's time, but you won't know that until you discuss it

And I am greatly concerned that the margins, especially at the gums are correct, because that can cause long term problems, that need to be evaluated promptly. My experience has been that when the treatment isn't done properly, the first time, or a remake that could happen, I would have to look very carefully at the final treatment and the cosmetic initial result, is only part of the package.

good luck with this.

lya

The OP demanded compensation/correction and accepted compensation/correction. Now, he wants further compensation. In evaluating the potential for an attorney to accept the OP's claim, one must take these actions into consideration.

ecmst12

My point is, they are fixing the veneers and treating your gum problems. When all is complete, it seems like you will not have any permanent damages. They are doing all this at no cost to you so that they can make you whole. When you don't have permanent damages, you don't get more then that.

backdraft37

wants further compensation

I never said to the Dentail office: that If you give me lumminers for free I would drop the issue and that would be that. I also never signed anything waving my rights to sue them or seek money from the mishap!

backdraft37

Thanks barry1817

Thanks for the insite on everything, I took your advice and email a attorney who deals with this kinda issue.
Well just have to see what happens Monday morning. That is if he responds to my email? :)
Thanks Again.

barry1817

veneers

My point is, they are fixing the veneers and treating your gum problems. When all is complete, it seems like you will not have any permanent damages. They are doing all this at no cost to you so that they can make you whole. When you don't have permanent damages, you don't get more then that.

If veneers are done wrong they can create a permanent periodontal problem that could cause a great deal of harm and problems down the line.

With the problems of the veneers, it becomes logical that if a person could not place them properly, the end result may be very problematic.

Creating a problem and then fixing it can be looked at in many ways. One way is that sometimes results aren't the best, even when all care is taken. The other way is that the person treating was doing so beyond the scope of their ability. The fact that another person has to correct the problem seems a fair indication that the work was beyond the ability of the person that attempted it.

This then poses very interesting problems that need to be looked at. Was the office selling treatment that could not be done properly, was the work negligent, was the remedy below the standard of care.

But if I were a patient and having this problem I would really want another opinion as to the final result.

As an aside it could be very intersting to check with legal and dental if complaints against this office have been on file, indicating others with problems, and to check with legal to see if any other suits have been filed which could also indicate problems with the office.

I had a case where the person wasn't happy with treatment, and there were more than 30 lawsuits for dental problems that had been filed against the office in a very short time.
That would show a pattern of treatment in the office that is not good for patients.

There are caveats to look at, and unless and until a person has the experience of treating a patient for veneers, and understanding fully what needs to be done for a proper result, it becomes very difficult to understand a patient without a thorough review.

ecmst12

The patient won't know if the damage is permanent until after the treatment is done. The patient doesn't care, he's just pissed off and wants money. And that's not how malpractice cases work. You don't get compensation for annoyance or inconvenience, you get compensation for being damaged, if you are damaged.

backdraft37

sounds like...

sounds like...ecmst12 has some experience, probably works with dential offices to prevent victims of negligence, from getting what is owed to them!
Just a thought here?

Thanks again barry foryour knowledge and wisdom!

lya

ecmst12 is correct. (You) don't know if you have any permanent damage.

There is much more to having a valid claim of medical malpractice than has been explained to you; but, you have received the answer you like, so act on it.

backdraft37

I found out this last Monday that Im going to need three quarter lumminers now, because of the amount of tooth structure that was left. I asked for a copy of my dental records so I can get a second opinion. They told me that I had to have a written letter to release that info. They asked why I wanted a copy of my records, and I told them that under Health and Safety code section 123110 they had to supply me with the info, including x rays and other data. The office worker got the office manger and asked me again, why I need my records. She said that she could fax over the info to the dentist. At this time I knew she was on to me and knew that I was getting info together for a law suit. I told her that she doesn't need to know. She told me to send a letter the bright now Inc, and they would get back to me within 30 days. Don't they need to supply me with the info on spot? I was aware of a fee to make the copies, but she just passed me off to a 800 number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">