• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Medicine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonpowell69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia-My fiance went in to have hernia surgery. He made it through the surgery,but when they started him on his pain medication he "bottomed out" and had to be resuscitated. A nurse informed me that it was due to being overdosed on the pain medication. After that, they gave him a pain medication that he was allergic to.(His doctor was aware of his allergy) It seems like ever since, his condition has deteriorated. Is it possible that this could be malpractice?

swalsh411

Could be. You should consult with a malpractice attorney. You would need to show that there was a substantial deviation from the standard of care expected. Sometimes there is an unexpected reaction to medicine. How do you know his doctor was aware of his allergy?

tranquility

I would certainly see a malpractice attorney. Every intake I've ever seen includes asking about known drug allergies. If the doctor cared for him in the hospital, he might have responsibility as well. I suspect the resident on the surgery floor approved the medication. He better hope the allergy was not listed on the chart.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia-My fiance went in to have hernia surgery. He made it through the surgery,but when they started him on his pain medication he "bottomed out" and had to be resuscitated. A nurse informed me that it was due to being overdosed on the pain medication. After that, they gave him a pain medication that he was allergic to.(His doctor was aware of his allergy) It seems like ever since, his condition has deteriorated. Is it possible that this could be malpractice?
The chances of having this being malpractice is zero. Can you get some starving lawyer to take a look at it? Sure. He then gets the medical records and have a doc/nurse scan it. Then it gets rejected. Cost? A few thousand dollars. On commission? Good luck.

Proserpina

OP won't be able to do this; either the fiance or the fiance's legal next of kin would be the only people with standing.

There are two elements to this, as far as I can see.

1. The initial pain medication - some patients just react badly and unpredictably. A bad outcome does not equate to malpractice.

2. The patient receiving a drug he's had a reaction to in the past. THAT may be the only viable issue (in terms of a lawsuit).

OP, how is your fiance doing now?

betachains - you mean "contingency", surely?

:cool:
Yes, thank you. As I said, I never went to law school.

The OP's report is pretty scanty on details. But, most "flagged" allergies are not true allergies and are routinely overridden by doctors' orders. (Among the most common "allergies": I vomited 3 hours after being given Drug XXX).

ecmst12

First question doctors ask when the patient says they have a drug allergy - what was the reaction. If they don't ask and just ignore the allergy, that could be malpractice. But, damages would be an issue.

First question doctors ask when the patient says they have a drug allergy - what was the reaction. If they don't ask and just ignore the allergy, that could be malpractice. But, damages would be an issue.
But giving a drug, the nurse(s) would immediately challenge if there were an "allergy" flag.

Proserpina

Yes, thank you. As I said, I never went to law school.
Me neither :D

The OP's report is pretty scanty on details. But, most "flagged" allergies are not true allergies and are routinely overridden by doctors' orders. (Among the most common "allergies": I vomited 3 hours after being given Drug XXX).

I completely agree with this part actually. Many, many, MANY patients who (for example) vomit after taking codeine report an allergy. No, no it's not. It's just a side effect.

tranquility

Um...damages? Yes, there are damages. Anyone who would doubt that, if there were what the OP has claimed; better get a real grip on the world.

If a patient reported an allergy to a drug, and doctor gave the drug, he would be just about strictly liable. Maybe, if he had specific information that would cause doubt to the patient he would not be liable. Maybe. (It would have to be way good information.)

Frankly, anyone who is claiming the doctor can decide will lose a lawsuit. Period. Study more. If the fact the person is "allergic" was not in the records, is something else. Sheesh. This is easy. I am uncertain of the other side of the argument.

If a guy says he is allergic to the alien emanations from the bed pan, those who still give him a bed pan (Because that is the way things are done.) better hope he is not damaged from those emanations.

[QUOTE

If a patient reported an allergy to a drug, and doctor gave the drug, he would be just about strictly liable. Maybe, if he had specific information that would cause doubt to the patient he would not be liable. Maybe. (It would have to be way good information.)

Frankly, anyone who is claiming the doctor can decide will lose a lawsuit. Period. Study more. If the fact the person is "allergic" was not in the records, is something else. Sheesh. This is easy. I am uncertain of the other side of the argument.

If a guy says he is allergic to the alien emanations from the bed pan, those who still give him a bed pan (Because that is the way things are done.) better hope he is not damaged from those emanations.[/QUOTE]

Well in the real world, doctors and nurses give stuff all the time where the patient claims allergies. The clinicians ask for the specific reactions. You itch, you get nauseated? Those aren't real allergies. The nurse will question. The doc and nurse will mutter over it, and will give the drug.

True allergies are unusual. Sue me, us. You will never win.

Yes, if the OP patient was allergic to XXX, identified as such on all medical records, and then got XXX and went into anaphylactic shock, then yes he wins a malpractice suit - deservedly so. That has never happened in my knowledge.

I've dealt with a few medmal attorneys in my time (not as a defendent). Most of them are pretty smart, but a surprising number of them know nothing about what happens in hospitals. If medmal is your life's work, why not spend a few weeks volunteering in the local ER?

Last edited:

tranquility

Sorry about your ignorance, but you should try again.

If a patient claims allergy and is injured by a doctor giving the drug the allergy was claimed, he should pucker up and get ready to lose a lawsuit and maybe his license.

Proserpina

Sorry about your ignorance, but you should try again.

If a patient claims allergy and is injured by a doctor giving the drug the allergy was claimed, he should pucker up and get ready to lose a lawsuit and maybe his license.

Stop messin' about.

(Said Kenneth Williams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">