• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bed sore -nursing home-hospital lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blackmustang

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My mom died 2 1/2 yrs ago after a long long illness. Toward the end of her life she was sent to a hospital for hip surgery and then to a rehab nursing home to get her walking again.
She always complained of the pain from the excercise program and eventually was unable to walk. She developed a bed sore that led to septic poising then died. The nursing home doctor put congestive heart failure as the cause of death.

We took pictures of the wound(bed sore). Her primary doctor was shocked at the wound and said it was the worst he'd ever seen and that she died of nothing he was treating her for over the years.

We contacted an attorney and it took them almost 2 years to review her case and decided that not only was the nursing home negligient but also the hospital. Seems that the hospital never fixed the hip correctly in the first place . Then the nursing home was making her hip worse and she then developed the bedsore and then she died..

The law firm filed a motion a few months ago.I don't know if this is a wrongful death lawsuit, or negligience or whatever

What happens next?

This is all I know about the case. I have relatives handling this matter and I seem to be on a need to know basis.

Last edited:

ellencee

blackmustang said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My mom died 2 1/2 yrs ago after a long long illness. Toward the end of her life she was sent to a hospital for hip surgery and then to a rehab nursing home to get her walking again.
She always complained of the pain from the excercise program and eventually was unable to walk. She developed a bed sore that led to septic poising then died. The nursing home doctor put congestive heart failure as the cause of death.

We took pictures of the wound(bed sore). Her primary doctor was shocked at the wound and said it was the worst he'd ever seen and that she died of nothing he was treating her for over the years.

We contacted an attorney and it took them almost 2 years to review her case and decided that not only was the nursing home negligient but also the hospital. Seems that the hospital never fixed the hip correctly in the first place . Then the nursing home was making her hip worse and she then developed the bedsore and then she died..

The law firm filed a motion a few months ago.I don't know if this is a wrongful death lawsuit, or negligience or whatever

What happens next?

This is all I know about the case. I have relatives handling this matter and I seem to be on a need to know basis.
Congestive heart failure is usually the cause of death from sepsis.
What happens next? You wait while the slow, slow wheels of medmal system bring this to conclusion in 3 to 5 years.

EC

B

blackmustang

Ok.. Thanks ..I kind of figured that the process was lengthy.

JETX

blackmustang said:

What happens next?
Your post is NOT clear as to whether an actual lawsuit has been filed or not. You need to talk with the law firm and VERIFY (in writing) that a lawsuit has in fact been filed.
If not filed, you need to get a new attorney NOW.... the SOL for a wrongful death suit in NY is TWO YEARS.... and if not filed, likely may have already expired.

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Your post is NOT clear as to whether an actual lawsuit has been filed or not. You need to talk with the law firm and VERIFY (in writing) that a lawsuit has in fact been filed.
If not filed, you need to get a new attorney NOW.... the SOL for a wrongful death suit in NY is TWO YEARS.... and if not filed, likely may have already expired.
Wrongful death (as noted) = 2 years and med mal = 2.5 years. Go to www.elaw.com and type your mom's name in the "plaintiff" box and see if there's a suit filed on her behalf. You're dangerously close to the cutoff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">