• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill for no outcomes from genetic test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeeCeeJ

My father is suffering from cancer. We engaged the services of a genetic testing service which promised to find mutations in his genetic structure to determine more accurate treatments. After analyzing the endoscopy sample (which is now destroyed during the analysis - so cannot be sent to another lab), they essentially sent us a perfectly blank sheet of paper with absolutely no results.

Upon trying to figure out what was going on in numerous conversations with them - they stated that this was one of those rare cases where they could find nothing. They are not ready to negotiate on the $5,000 fee that they billed us for this service - despite the fact that as a consumer I got negative value from the service that they provided (no outcomes + sample destroyed).

Can anyone please advise me on my options?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My father is suffering from cancer. We engaged the services of a genetic testing service which promised to find mutations in his genetic structure to determine more accurate treatments. After analyzing the endoscopy sample (which is now destroyed during the analysis - so cannot be sent to another lab), they essentially sent us a perfectly blank sheet of paper with absolutely no results.

Upon trying to figure out what was going on in numerous conversations with them - they stated that this was one of those rare cases where they could find nothing. They are not ready to negotiate on the $5,000 fee that they billed us for this service - despite the fact that as a consumer I got negative value from the service that they provided (no outcomes + sample destroyed).

1: US Law Only
2: I haven't seen the contract, but I am SURE that the testing service had a disclaimer to cover just this sort of situation. They have no reason to negotiate anything. The service was performed, the payment is due.

Just Blue

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please. What do you not understand about "U.S. Law Only"??? Ya know...as a consumer?:rolleyes:

ecmst12

If this person was not in the US, they would probably have better healthcare so the bill would not be an issue.

Regardless, just because the results were not useful does not mean that the test can't be billed for. They performed the test, they are entitled to payment.

tranquility

If this person was not in the US, they would probably have better healthcare so the bill would not be an issue.

Regardless, just because the results were not useful does not mean that the test can't be billed for. They performed the test, they are entitled to payment.
Um...are they doing a lot of genetic testing for cancer treatment in all those countries with "better" healthcare?

ecmst12

UK and Canada have very good healthcare. OP seems to be a native english speaker. But again, given the size of the bill, I don't doubt he's in the US.

tranquility

I didn't see much in Canada write-up, but it seems it is not a generally covered procedure in the UK. There is still debate in the NHS as to the benefits and cost effectiveness. The marketing reports on such pharmacogenetics testing are not really excited about the UK or Europe in general. (Scandinavian countries are a different matter.)

ecmst12

I don't think OP would disagree as to the value of the test in this case. But I think no matter where he is, if he agreed to pay for the test, he's going to have to pay for it no matter what.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">