• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Botched surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherialie@yahoo

CA,
I had a interpositional arthroplasty of my right thumb. Approximately 1 1/2 weeks after the surgery I was having alot of pain and pressure from the pin in my hand. I called the Drs' office to have it checked out (I was still in a cast). The Drs' office refused to see me. They said that my Dr was on vacation and I would have to wait until he returned ( which was after Thanksgiving) and if I was in that much pain go see my primary physician. So I went to the Urgent Care. They took an x-ray and when they saw the pin said it was suppose to hurt. They never took the cast off or looked at my hand. I told them as I told the Drs' office that it felt as if a bone was coming out of the top of my hand. But they did nothing. On Thanksgiving day I felt something running down my hand it was blood. The pin had come through the top of my hand and in doing so pulled through my graft site. So on the following Monday my dr came back from vacation as soon as he saw what happened he did emergency surgery to take the pin out. But the damage had been done. to this day I have a lot of pain and it is hard to use my hand. Iam basically looking at a fusion or artificial joint replacement. If the Drs's office where i had the surgery done had seen me (they have a group of otho drs in this group) I feel my surgery would have healed properly. Iam going to need time off of work for additional surgery plus I looking at the possibility of not being able to return to work if I have a artificial joint in my hand. I feel this malpractice but Iam not sure. Any help will be helpful.

lya

CA,
I had a interpositional arthroplasty of my right thumb. Approximately 1 1/2 weeks after the surgery I was having alot of pain and pressure from the pin in my hand. I called the Drs' office to have it checked out (I was still in a cast). The Drs' office refused to see me. They said that my Dr was on vacation and I would have to wait until he returned ( which was after Thanksgiving) and if I was in that much pain go see my primary physician. So I went to the Urgent Care. They took an x-ray and when they saw the pin said it was suppose to hurt. They never took the cast off or looked at my hand. I told them as I told the Drs' office that it felt as if a bone was coming out of the top of my hand. But they did nothing. On Thanksgiving day I felt something running down my hand it was blood. The pin had come through the top of my hand and in doing so pulled through my graft site. So on the following Monday my dr came back from vacation as soon as he saw what happened he did emergency surgery to take the pin out. But the damage had been done. to this day I have a lot of pain and it is hard to use my hand. Iam basically looking at a fusion or artificial joint replacement. If the Drs's office where i had the surgery done had seen me (they have a group of otho drs in this group) I feel my surgery would have healed properly. Iam going to need time off of work for additional surgery plus I looking at the possibility of not being able to return to work if I have a artificial joint in my hand. I feel this malpractice but Iam not sure. Any help will be helpful.
Your physician should have had another MD covering his patients and whoever that was should have seen you.
You would have probably required a second surgery. I have no way of knowing if you would have needed additional surgery in the future or if pain or difficult use of your hand.

Take advantage of a free consultation with a medmal attorney but don't get your hopes up. This 'sounds' really iffy to me.

cherialie@yahoo

Dont get my hopes up for what. I have a pin pull through my hand disloge the graft and all because the drs office refused to see me when i was having problems with the pin. thats the reason for the 2nd surgery. The pin was suppose to be removed in the Drs. office by a simple procedure. Now Ill need a third surgery for fusion or joint replacement and you tell me dont get my hopes up. up for what another botched surgery. Thanks for the advice Ill keep it in mind when Iam on the table.

lya

Dont get my hopes up for what. I have a pin pull through my hand disloge the graft and all because the drs office refused to see me when i was having problems with the pin. thats the reason for the 2nd surgery. The pin was suppose to be removed in the Drs. office by a simple procedure. Now Ill need a third surgery for fusion or joint replacement and you tell me dont get my hopes up. up for what another botched surgery. Thanks for the advice Ill keep it in mind when Iam on the table.
OK; you do that. Then, when you're over your snit, read my post again...it says when you consult with an attorney, don't get your hopes up. It also says the physician covering for your physician should have seen you.

Your rudeness is inexcusable.

cherialie@yahoo

Your poor legal advice is inexcusible. I guess thats why you are giving it out for free. I learned a lesson you get what you pay for Dont quit your day job.

D

dedlock

Your poor legal advice is inexcusible. I guess thats why you are giving it out for free. I learned a lesson you get what you pay for Dont quit your day job.
I'm sorry for the rude response you received. The pin worked it's way out. It happens and it is not malpractice. It may be that you will have to wait until after your next surgery to find out if the pin coming out and the delay in surgery could have been avoided. Also, you don't know yet what the outcome of the whole procedure will be.

I am concerned the doctor's office put you off until he returned from his vacation. If you aren't going to continue to see him for further treatment, file a complaint with the medical board. They will take your complaint seriously.

It is too soon to see a malpractice atty. As soon as your surgeon tells you what the outcome is, ask if this could have been avoided if your graft had not been damaged when the pin came out. If you have an idea he does, see an atty for a review of your case.

Last edited:

lealea1005

Cherialie, just because Lya's advice may not be exactly what you want to hear, it does not make it wrong, and it was far from "rude". Put your frustration with your situation aside and go back and read it again. She is absolutely correct.

cherialie@yahoo

For someone to make a reference like dont get your hopes up sounds to me like lya thinks Iam planning on making millions off of this. This is not my intention. First these surgeries are painful, second the recovery time is long 4 to 6 months, third because the nature of my job I might not be able to work with a artifical wrist joint which is the suggesion of my current Dr. No i did not go back to the same Dr. reason he does not work there anymore and my case was one of the reasons he left. How do I know this cause he took the time one sun morning to call me at my house and explain the reason why he left that ortho group. Some people are helpful some just want to be jerks

Just Blue

For someone to make a reference like dont get your hopes up sounds to me like lya thinks Iam planning on making millions off of this. This is not my intention. First these surgeries are painful, second the recovery time is long 4 to 6 months, third because the nature of my job I might not be able to work with a artifical wrist joint which is the suggesion of my current Dr. No i did not go back to the same Dr. reason he does not work there anymore and my case was one of the reasons he left. How do I know this cause he took the time one sun morning to call me at my house and explain the reason why he left that ortho group. Some people are helpful some just want to be jerks
Charlie, The only one being a jerk here is you. You seem to have inferred something in Lya's post that was NOT implied.

Good luck with your hand, I hope everything works out for you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You came to a legal advice forum. That alone implies that you would like to seek a legal remedy to your situation. Based on that, you were told not to get your hopes up for a legal remedy.

You really need to chill man. :rolleyes:

D

dedlock

Chill?

Some people come to a legal forum to find out if they a potential case... not for a medical opinion or diagnosis. They may appreciate knowing what other options they have other than "see a medmal attorney".

Cherialie,
It sounds like he made an attempt to appologize and let you know he left because he didn't handle your case well.

Again, you will need an opinion of a physician who specializes in micro-joint surgery and who can provide an opinion of what the permanent condition is due to the pin coming out and how not receiving immediate attention affected the bone graft.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some people come to a legal forum to find out if they a potential case... not for a medical opinion or diagnosis. They may appreciate knowing what other options they have other than "see a medmal attorney".

Cherialie,
It sounds like he made an attempt to appologize and let you know he left because he didn't handle your case well.

Again, you will need an opinion of a physician who specializes in micro-joint surgery and who can provide an opinion of what the permanent condition is due to the pin coming out and how not receiving immediate attention affected the bone graft.
Ded - this is a LEGAL forum...of course they come here to find out if they might have a case. That's EXACTLY what I said.
The "chill" part was because our OP was becoming hostile after receiving the information he came here for!

Last edited:
D

dedlock

Z-
I think I get that.
The person didn't appreciate the sarcastic comment about not "getting your hopes up".

When you throw barbs at people, expect people to send them right back at you. Then to continue with the business about having a snit? Uncalled for.

Nobody gets a salary for answering questions. No one who comes here asking for advice deserves a derogatory or belittling comment.

cherialie@yahoo

to dedlock,thank you the comments made by lya i felt were uncalled for but like you said the info is free so what was i thinking. thanks for understanding

Happy Trails

I didn't take that comment as "sarcastic" at all. I took it to mean that the poster may have a hard time finding an attorney to even take the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">