• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brethine side effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Almin

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

A child I know has ADHD, is bipolar and is schizophrenic. His mother was prescribed Brethine due to pregnancy complications in 1995. Another son of hers is ADHD and bipolar (genetic conditions). The schizophrenia and possible learning disabilities are the question here. I was wondering if anyone was aware of any cases, settlements or investigations into the side effects of Brethine. In March 2000, the FDA shows this comment on the drug: " Labeling extensively revised". I cannot find why the drug was relabled. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

ellencee

Take Brethine or lose the baby...decisions, decisions, decisions...sue the doctor that saved the baby, not one but two babies...hmmm...rule out genetics as a cause...no money in suing yourself...excuse me while I puke.
EC

Almin

Maybe I was unclear

This question is not for suing the doctor, he saved the boy's life for sure, but should this medication have been tested by the FDA. It has not for this application. It would be more appropriate to go after the manufacturer, Novartis. The boys are great, their mother is wonderful. It is just the situation may not have had to occur.

panzertanker

Almin said:
This question is not for suing the doctor, he saved the boy's life for sure, but should this medication have been tested by the FDA. It has not for this application. It would be more appropriate to go after the manufacturer, Novartis. The boys are great, their mother is wonderful. It is just the situation may not have had to occur.
The medication WAS extensively tested by the FDA, they made the comment that they relabeled it. That happens all the time with medications. As soon as there is enough data from true pt usage, and new or unforseen side effects are noted, the FDA can/will relabel drug usage, dosage, indication, etc.

As for usage "off label", more than half of the drugs used are used for "other than indicated" treatment. This has been how many drugs get secondary indications.

Now, tell us the WHOLE story. Brethine has been used for MANY years to stop premature labor. Why all of a sudden do you come along and have such an interest in this?
And I do not understand....1995??? SOL is up as far as I know, so this debate is just semantics anyway....

Pardon me, I too must go puke!

Thoughts such as yours are one of the reasons why many people cannot afford to buy their medications. Drug companies rape the consumer, to be sure, but they also have to spend millions fighting frivilous lawsuits b/c somebody wants a buck. JEEZ!!!!!!

rmet4nzkx

Terbutaline: Also known as Breathine is a tocolytic medication that can be used to relax the uterus and reduce contractions. A tocolytic medication is one that relaxes the uterus to reduce contractions.

This medication is approved for use in pregnancy and labor, however there are specific indications and use to be considered, the greater risk of Terbutaline administered during premature labor is to the mother in the form of an adverse drug reaction affecting the cardiac system. If this drug were dangerous to the infant, you would see increased birth defects in children of asthmatics.

Virtually no medication is approved for use during pregnancy by the FDA because we don't test on unborn children because no one can give consent, it is a matter of ethics, so we collect information based on when the medication has been prescribed.

This medication does not cause mental illness.

With the brief history you gave, I would suspect the diagnosis will eventually be changed to Asperger's in both children if in fact they don't have a clear case of psychosis, Asperger's runs in families and has those symptons, bipolar, ADHD, OCD, ODD, psychosis. In no way is it related to Terbutaline or any medication

amandaw08

peolple who want to puke

I have a Question for all the puking people. Do you have children? Do you Have children with disabilities? Have you ever taken this medicine while pregnant? I have 4 kids 2 of which I had to take brethine with. The first child I was 17 and told by my doctor it was a safe drug and was never warned of any side effects. So when I had to take it again I still thought it was safe. the same doctor gave it to me and again didnt warn me of any side effects and did not mention ti was not approved by the fda for use in pregnant women. My son was born deaf in one ear, he has ADHD, he is language impaired, He hass ODD, and problems with depression. Everyday is a struggle for him. none of these things run in our family. Now I am seeing early signs of ADHD and ODD in my other child. My other 2 children who I didnt take the medication with have no problems. In the past year is when I finally learned of the side effects of this medicatiuon that believe it is directly related. I went into early labor with both my kids after 32 wks and was kept on the meds until after 37 wks. If I knew what I kow now I would have never tken the meds. It is one of the hardest things to see your child struggling with everyday simple tasks. No I am not out for money like ya'll pukey people think others here are but I would like everyone to know what this medication can cause and I would atleast like an apology from the doctor for not giving me a warning of the side effects so I could make the decision for myself and my unborn baby. So do I think he should be held responsible, yes I do. Until you have seen your child cry and say things like "I want to kill myself" because from the time they get up till the time they go to bed just simple understanding and comprehending what is going on throughout the day is such a struggle for them. so please think before you pass judgement

lya

Ohhhhh...go ahead and tell her the post is three and a half years old and that, frankly, my dear, we no longer give a darn.

ecmst12

I have ADHD and my mom didn't take any medications while she was pregnant. Stuff happens, sometimes kids are born with less then perfect genetics and being a kid is hard even for the "normal" ones. We learn to cope.

amandaw08

:)yes I saw the date, but the date doesn't change the fact that I had an opinion. And if you didnt " give a darn" you wouldnt have read it and commented. And if ya'll would have read it correctly you would see my child has many problems. I wish it was just ADHD. Of course you wouldnt give a darn anymore because it isnt something you have to deal with on a daily basis, you read about it and move on. So if you dont give a darn dont read it and dont comment. And one more time, nobody in my family has any of the disabilities my child has so apperently its not genetics.

VeronicaLodge

well thats sweet but this isnt the "give your opinions here" board its a legal advice board and there is no point in providing new legal advice to a 3 year old thread with an op who is no longer here. you just want to argue, go to the freeargument.com board

candg918

Talk to your doctor about having your child tested for a sleep disorder. They can cause learning, psycological and health problems problems, How do I know, my 30 year old was diagnosed with a life long sleep disorder after the medical issues became severe.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello poster. I am frantically trying to find out more about the drug brethine. I was on brethine for both of my pregnancies and my kids cannot keep still! One is more haptic than the other but I am sure because I was on the drug longer with my first then I was with my second. None of their friends are this way. Could you please send me information at ? I am desparate for answers! My son keeps getting into trouble at school and is always constantly moving. Thanks so much!

Tammy
Start your own thread.
(I have edited out your email address)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">