• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brodie's Abscess/ Osteomylitis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azmom41

My name is Debbie and I am in Arizona. My son is 16 yrs old and has a history of a post surgical site infection in his foot of Osteomylitis and a soft tissue abscess in May 2011. He was admitted to the hospital for a little over week, a PIC line put in and sent home on IV antibiotics. He was sent home to follow the IV therapy with his Pediatrician and follow up with the foot doctor for sutures in his foot.. When the Iv antibiotics finished I asked the pediatrician if any further testing was needed or anything and he said no. I asked about another MRI because U had read it was a good idea. He said no he has no signs of the infection. He did order a blood test, got the results which were normal and dismissed us for FU. Foot doctor removed sutures, said foot looked good, FU in two weeks. Went to that appt and he released my son as well stating to come back if any problems.. Well staring about 2 months ago my son started complaining that the area on his foot was hurting inside when he walked extended periods of time. Not normal, time to make a appt. I asked his pediatrician for a referral to a new doctor because of the surgical site infection. The new foot doctor said he did not feel the osteomylitis was back because it was not swollen, hot to touch, red or a fever present. He did think there might be tendon damage and ordered a MRI. We went back to the childrens hospital for the MRI so they could compare with the previous MRI when he was in the hospital. The MRI came back with a 11MM Brodie's abscess in the same area of the osteomylitis of the calcaneus bone. Mild reactive bone marrow present, tendonosis, residual magnetic artifact in the soft tissue where the abscess was, bone marrow edema, and two other area's that might be brodie abscess as well. The new doctor told me it was ok, that the infection was not active because there was no redness, not hot to touch, no fever night sweats. He said to just watch it and if these symptoms are seen to make an appt. So when I got home today I looked up Brodie's Abscess.. Guess what? This type of bone infection is a result of the initial infection not being treated correctly and has no visable signs except pain..

Subacute osteomyelitis is a distinct form of osteomyelitis, and Brodie abscess is one type of subacute osteomyelitis. Subacute osteomyelitis is difficult to diagnose because the characteristic signs and symptoms of the acute form of the disease are absent.[1, 2, 3] The disease has an insidious onset, mild symptoms, and lacks a systemic reaction, and supportive laboratory data are inconsistent..

Folks, what do I do??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">