• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken jaw two titanium plates, no motor function of bottom lip 9 months after

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asdf1918

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

9 months ago I was assaulted, and went to the ER with a broken jaw. I had surgery a day later to attach a titanium plate to each side of my jaw where the breaks occurred. I do not know who hit me.
There is still no motor function of my bottom lip (on my left side) 9 months after surgery. My smile, laugh and my mouth when talking is completely lopsided :/. There is no motor function on the side they cut into externally along my jaw line to attach the plate, the other side of my face is fine because they went in from the inside of my mouth. Along with that there is a lot of hard scar tissue along my jawline that is pretty uncomfortable. It feels like hard balls underneath my jaw. Is there anything I can do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

9 months ago I was assaulted, and went to the ER with a broken jaw. I had surgery a day later to attach a titanium plate to each side of my jaw where the breaks occurred. I do not know who hit me.
There is still no motor function of my bottom lip (on my left side) 9 months after surgery. My smile, laugh and my mouth when talking is completely lopsided :/. There is no motor function on the side they cut into externally along my jaw line to attach the plate, the other side of my face is fine because they went in from the inside of my mouth. Along with that there is a lot of hard scar tissue along my jawline that is pretty uncomfortable. It feels like hard balls underneath my jaw. Is there anything I can do?
Your question is better suited for a medical forum, or a doctor.

Dave1952

It's not clear what you want. You say that you do not know who broke your jaw when you were assaulted. Has the assault been dealt with? If so, what happened? If not, who do you want to "make this right".
Are you trying to suggest that there is medical malpractice involved here? You certainly may speak with a lawyer about your problems. Many lawyers advertise free initial consults. Call a few.

asdf1918

It's not clear what you want. You say that you do not know who broke your jaw when you were assaulted. Has the assault been dealt with? If so, what happened? If not, who do you want to "make this right".
Are you trying to suggest that there is medical malpractice involved here? You certainly may speak with a lawyer about your problems. Many lawyers advertise free initial consults. Call a few.
Yes, looks like I may need to receive a free consult from a lawyer. The assault has not been dealt with as there is no one to go after. I was wondering if there is medical malpractice involved here but I don't even remember what I signed during the stay at the hospital. I'm guessing a lawyer would be best suited to answer these questions. I was just praying for it to heal, but after 9 months it's not looking good...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, looks like I may need to receive a free consult from a lawyer. The assault has not been dealt with as there is no one to go after. I was wondering if there is medical malpractice involved here but I don't even remember what I signed during the stay at the hospital. I'm guessing a lawyer would be best suited to answer these questions. I was just praying for it to heal, but after 9 months it's not looking good...
Have you sought a second opinion? Your injuries sound severe.

Dave1952

I agree with Zigner that you need to get a second medical opinion. Perhaps more surgery can fix the scar tissue. Understand that it may be impossible to tell whether your problems are a result of the assault or of the surgery after the assault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">