• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

C-Section internal infection, corrective surgery almost died and consent to hysterect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms.XYZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have 3 questions:
1)

My daughter was breech and the doctors were not abel to turn her so we scheduled a c-section delivery. I carried to term, going into labor 22 hours before my scheduled c-section. My labor was progesssing. The OBGYN told me not to go into the hospitol to do the c-section that "labor is good for the baby" ??? is that true??

I had the surgery I do not remember any problems from the birth, but I believe something bad happened right after. I was ina recovery area and the nurses were upset that I could not breastfeed. I was so exhausted I could barely keep awake they kept trying to wake me frustrated bc my baby needed to breastfeed, I just remember having no control over my body and trying to do what they were saying. I also remember this terrible feeling voer my body and not having any control or being able to speak. I remember my body making involuntary jerking (like my whole body) and the nirses yelling at me to stop flailing around but I couldn't talk or control what my body was doing. I finally was able to breastfeed later they had to give my daighter formula in order for her to feed. -Could that have been a seizure or allergic reaction to the anasthesia? I am terrified to have surgery again. I am afraid I might die while under bc I may have an allergy or intollerance.

MAIN POINT/QUESTION: I had a c-section and was in hospitol for 3 days. On day two I notices pink and puffy around incision site. Hospitol had informed me if I saw that to mention somethign as it could be infection. I told the nurse when i noticed it and she said I was fine. I was a tropper and forced myself to get up and walk as they saud the sooner and better youre walking the better your recovery.--- I grew up in foster care and was badly abused growing up so measuring "normal" amounts of pain can be challenging (I am just learning now that I put up with more than most people bc I am use to it... it is my normal) The nurse said it was normal. I went home on day 3, got my discharge meds etc.

I couple days (1-2?) later it was Easter and I was at a friends house and just remember going to take a nap and sleeping all day long while they cared for my baby when I wasn't feeding her. I did not eat or be around anyone I was exhausted and weak. I drove home but couldn't make it I began to have unbearable pain strike my belly. I pulled into the hospitol ER where they put me off until a stranger came and advocated and demanded I be seen right then. I was told they were admitting me. They did. they ran some scans and tests and it tunrs out I had an internal infection inside my abdomen and needed to be hospitalized. I had to go on heavy antibiotics and stop breastfeeding (afterwards I would be told by the same doctor that I could have continued breastfeeding) I was so weak and my blood count was all off. I was 18 and had to consent to a hysterectimy bc they were not sure if the infection/masses inside had spread and they needed me to consent to the hysterectimy (I didn't understand what they were telling me, I only rememer them telling me to sign the papers and talking above my head and acting like it was a common thing I only figured out later what I consented to) However, they did the surgery and removed the masses/enfections and installed these tubes that poked through my stomach and had suction bulbs on the end to suck the infection out of me and drain. And they did not have to do the hysterectemy after-all. However I did not get better. there was talk of blood transfusion etc. All the while the hospitol would not allow me to keep my newborn in the hospital with me. I was a single mom and had no family. I had to let other people take my baby home. My blood cell count was still messed up and they had to agressively take more antibiotics. Eventually (1 month later) i could go home. But I feel taken advantage of now. A nurse friend of mine (not treating me) mentioned something about my "staph infection" and when I casually called it that my Dr. freaked but till this day I still do not know what was wrong with me or what caused my traumatic incident. I ruined me and took me almost 1-1.5 yrs to heal. And the emotional distress/trauma from it lasted for years. My daughter is now in school and had problems I think from the post birth separation.

Do i have a case?

OHRoadwarrior

Nothing you say indicates anything I would see as beyond the norm. The OBGYN appears to have expressed a general opinion, not a medical recommendation based on her analysis of your case. Infections are a potential side effect of surgery. Having a baby, without a spouse, sig other or friend to care for them is not the hospitals fault. They are not required to allow you to bring your family into the hospital as a portion of your treatment. You can speculate all you want as to what is causing your daughters issues. Facts likely point to something more plausible, such as medical dysfunction or your parenting skills. As always, if you are in doubt, by all means consult an attorney locally specializing in med mal. An initial consultation can often be had for free.

ecmst12

Since your claims involve your care and not your child's, you definitely have no case more than 5 years later.

anearthw

The OBGYN told me not to go into the hospitol to do the c-section that "labor is good for the baby" ??? is that true??
Yes. Scheduled C-section babies (who do not experience labor) have a higher risk of breathing issues because labor helps clear out the lungs (in simple terms).

Could that have been a seizure or allergic reaction to the anasthesia? I am terrified to have surgery again. I am afraid I might die while under bc I may have an allergy or intollerance.
Maybe. I actually experienced the same thing in a vaginal delivery without surgery. Labor is traumatic to a woman's body and mind. There is no way of knowing 5 years later.

MAIN POINT/QUESTION: I had a c-section and was in hospitol for 3 days. On day two I notices pink and puffy around incision site. Hospitol had informed me if I saw that to mention somethign as it could be infection. I told the nurse when i noticed it and she said I was fine. I was a tropper and forced myself to get up and walk as they saud the sooner and better youre walking the better your recovery.--- I grew up in foster care and was badly abused growing up so measuring "normal" amounts of pain can be challenging (I am just learning now that I put up with more than most people bc I am use to it... it is my normal) The nurse said it was normal. I went home on day 3, got my discharge meds etc.

I couple days (1-2?) later it was Easter and I was at a friends house and just remember going to take a nap and sleeping all day long while they cared for my baby when I wasn't feeding her. I did not eat or be around anyone I was exhausted and weak. I drove home but couldn't make it I began to have unbearable pain strike my belly. I pulled into the hospitol ER where they put me off until a stranger came and advocated and demanded I be seen right then. I was told they were admitting me. They did. they ran some scans and tests and it tunrs out I had an internal infection inside my abdomen and needed to be hospitalized. I had to go on heavy antibiotics and stop breastfeeding (afterwards I would be told by the same doctor that I could have continued breastfeeding) I was so weak and my blood count was all off. I was 18 and had to consent to a hysterectimy bc they were not sure if the infection/masses inside had spread and they needed me to consent to the hysterectimy (I didn't understand what they were telling me, I only rememer them telling me to sign the papers and talking above my head and acting like it was a common thing I only figured out later what I consented to) However, they did the surgery and removed the masses/enfections and installed these tubes that poked through my stomach and had suction bulbs on the end to suck the infection out of me and drain. And they did not have to do the hysterectemy after-all. However I did not get better. there was talk of blood transfusion etc. All the while the hospitol would not allow me to keep my newborn in the hospital with me. I was a single mom and had no family. I had to let other people take my baby home. My blood cell count was still messed up and they had to agressively take more antibiotics. Eventually (1 month later) i could go home. But I feel taken advantage of now. A nurse friend of mine (not treating me) mentioned something about my "staph infection" and when I casually called it that my Dr. freaked but till this day I still do not know what was wrong with me or what caused my traumatic incident. I ruined me and took me almost 1-1.5 yrs to heal. And the emotional distress/trauma from it lasted for years. My daughter is now in school and had problems I think from the post birth separation.

Do i have a case?
When you keep saying things like being a trooper, high pain tolerance etc. one cannot help but wonder if the hospital staff were not given an accurate account of your symptoms - hence, were not informed as to how serious your condition was at the time. It is also true that C-sections carry a higher risk of infection than a vaginal delivery, and hence why some hospitals are more pro-active in encouraging VBACs or breech deliveries.

At the end of the day, you have no way of proving any suspicions anyways, this is far too long ago. It appears this is more of a traumatic birth experience which requires therapy (and I recommend it btw, having done it myself) rather than being medical malpractice.

C-sections carry risks and there is nothing you described which is not an actual known risk of such a major surgery. There is no medical evidence to suggest that post-birth separation causes issues in children - it can however, be a factor in a mother's bonding/postnatal depression and her subsequent parenting might be affected by that.

Funforme

I've been an L&D nurse for almost 11 years...

So a few things. You called your doctor 22 hours before your cs because you were having contractions or cuz your water broke? Having contractions is actually good for the baby as long as your water is intact (if your breech) Now women go into labor before their scheduled cs all the time...no biggie. What were you dialated to when you eventually got to the hospital? I'm going to assume that if your doc told you NOT to come in via the phone...that you indicated to him that you were having some contractions, but not every 2 min omg I'm dying contractions. If you've never had surgery on your uterus...laboring while breech is no big deal as long as you don't show up with feet hanging out.

In recovery you "were weak and couldn't stay awake". In a CS after the baby is out sometimes anesthesia will give you an IV dose of "chill out" this could be because mom is having anxiety or just cuz anesthesia wants patient to be quite. I'm not saying it's right...but it's the truth. This heavy sleepiness/sedation usually wears off in less than an hour.

You had no control over your body because you had either an epidural or a spinal that made you completely numb from the boobs down for 1-3 hours post surgery...this should have been explained to you...but the chill out medicine can cause retrograde amnesia so you may have forgot being told. The shaking...completely normal. It's from the fluid shifts of iv fluid, blood loss, no more placenta to oxygenate, plus rapid hormone shifts from delivery. Every one shakes for an hour or 2...it's like the shivers but your not cold. It was not an allergy or seizure.

And I'm not blaming or doubting you. I've met some crappy nurses...but we help shaking, completely numb, immedient post op moms breast feed every day. It's not the most comfortable feeding by any means...it gets easier once you can move. More often than not...the mom will insist that she cant possibly feed because she can't move and she's tired or nauseous or in pain. Were the nurses trying to help you get positioned, or help baby to latch?

Pink and puffy around incision is normal. I'm sure both nurses and your doc inspected your incision prior to discharge.

You should be up and waking by 12 hours post cs. 24 at the absolute most. Yes it's going to hurt more to move...but it's nothing compared to the pain of laying in bed for 3 days post op and dealing with fluid in lungs, constipation, ect

1-2 days after your discharge was 4-5 days post op. And I'm sure you were told not to drive for 2 weeks. But you went to a friends house...you over did it. C sections are common but they are NOT no big deal...it's major abdominal surgery. I'm sure you were weak and in pain. The "unbearable pain" you describe could just be from surgery...but after abdominal surgery you should not use downward force on your feet...as in pushing on a break pedal. It causes sever pain and unnecessary force on your incision site.

A post op infection is a known, common complication of c-sections. It often doesn't show up for several days. Just because you were readmited for a post op infection doesn't mean they should not have sent you home the day before. And heavy antibiotics is the treatment. Why did you stop breastfeeding at this point? Were you told to or did it just get difficult? Were you readmitted to the postpartum floor? They should have been able to assist with pumping.

From the time you were discharged until you were readmitted did you have lots of heavy bleeding? It's not uncommon at all to loose a liter or more blood during a CS. And depending on the mothers symptoms giving a unit of blood will fix you right up. I would be shocked if they didn't check your blood count prior to discharge the first time. You said you had not eaten that day...had you been eating since surgery? If your blood count was already low, not eating well can make you weak, pale, and symptomatic.

And everyone with a post op CS incision infection signs a consent for a hysterectomy. You also signed a consent for a hysterectomy prior to your CS. Most of the time the infection stays localized at the incision site...but if you get an infection in your uterus that is life threatening. Did you follow orders of no tampons, no sex, no nothing going in there? That's what causes uterus infections.

I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive in anyway...but if your over weight that dramatically increases the chance of post op infection and/or dehisence. If you were opened up, cleaned, and drain tubes put in it's likely part of your incision opened up. Strenuous activity or nothing at all can cause this to happen. And the reality is, the larger the patient is, the more likely the wound is to open. Thus increasing likely hood of infection. It's just a risk factor.

What you have described sounds like a wound dehiscence followed by infection. There's no way to really tell weather it was hospital acquired or developed outside of the hospital. Not that it would matter legally. And if you were in the hospital for a month I'm sure they cultured it. Ask your doctor. I've seen a mom get very sick from an e. Coli infection in her incision.

The last part of your post talks about being separated from your baby. Unless you were in the ICU your baby was allowed in your room. Now your baby was not a patient so the hospital legally has to require that another adult be present to care for the baby. What if you had to go have that emergency hysterectomy? Who's going to be responsible for the baby. It's unfortunate you didn't have anyone who could come stay with you. But that's not the hospitals fault.

Sorry for the novel. I'm obviously passionate about my job and it never cecess to amaze me how the patients point of view and the health care team's point of view can differ so much. And I have no doubt that no one explained this to you...or took the time to make sure you understood every thing. I see that every day. Hope this helps.

Funforme

I'm sure you can tell I'm passionate about my career. It never ceases to amaze me how people interpret things. I have patients all the time tell me, "with my first delivery blah blah blah" and I'm think, "no it didn't, that doesn't even make sense." Sometimes, the patient's IQ is such that you can tell them 100 times "we are doing this procedure because that." and it doesn't matter. they don't here you, they don't care, or they just like the version of the story that sounds more dramatic.

I wish I had a nickle every time I've had this conversation:

Me: Have you ever had an abnormal pap?

Patient: I had cancer and they did surgery on my cervix.

Me: You had cancer or precancerous cells?

Patient: I had cancer. I had to have surgery.

Me: Was your surgery in a hospital or in the doctors office?

Patient: Doctor's office

I always wonder if they really believe they had cervical cancer or if they just like the attention off telling people that...makes me wanna slap somebody!

But the majority of the time, it's because the docs and nurses don't explain what's going on. Or they explain it in a way the patient doesn't understand. Which I find sad.

anearthw

I think it's certainly a blend of misunderstanding and wanting a more dramatic version. My career was in law enforcement not health but the clientele was quite similar~ a misunderstanding of the law and wanting to hear things that support their version of what they want to be true. It's really not much different and attributable to human nature I suppose.

I'm sorry for what the OP went through but I think rather than any litigation she would benefit far more from some sort of debriefing about her labor (unsure if that's available at this date) and some counseling to help deal with the traumatic experience.

Funforme

In healthcare, just like law enforcement, we get to work with and interact with "the general public." That's why cops and nurses have the best stories. Because the vast majority of the population out there is functioning at about an 80-85 IQ.

I've never heard it explained in those exact words before, "a misunderstanding of the law and wanting to hear things that support their version of what they want to be true" You are so absolutely right.

Just Blue

I'm sure you can tell I'm passionate about my career. It never ceases to amaze me how people interpret things. I have patients all the time tell me, "with my first delivery blah blah blah" and I'm think, "no it didn't, that doesn't even make sense." Sometimes, the patient's IQ is such that you can tell them 100 times "we are doing this procedure because that." and it doesn't matter. they don't here you, they don't care, or they just like the version of the story that sounds more dramatic.

I have to say...When my eldest was born I told my Ob that EVERY SINGLE CHILD BORN to my family was delivered in record time. I was a twin born in "65. My mother lived VERY near the hospital otherwise me and my "little brother" would have been born in a car. 40 min TOTAL. 1st contraction to brother being delivered. (side note, we set a record as the biggest twins delivered, 13lbs :) )

My contractions started a 6 am....She was born at 10:44 am that same morning. The Dr. "didn't believe me". He had a busy morning and was taking a shower. He had shampoo in his hair when she was born.

lil'blue: Learned my lesson and as soon as the "plug" went ...so did I to the hospital. 4 am. Told the nurse my Hx as well as my mother, sisters, grandmother. Guess she thought I had a 100 i.q. :p
Told her to call the OB. (she didn't want to wake him) , she did not call. Told me I had "hours":rolleyes:. lil' blue was born with an on call Ob as the Doctor about 1.3 hours after that comment. My OB wasn't notified by the staff till after baby was born.

So yeah...Not everyone who understands their body is borderline dumb. Jus'sayin'.

Just Blue

In healthcare, just like law enforcement, we get to work with and interact with "the general public." That's why cops and nurses have the best stories. Because the vast majority of the population out there is functioning at about an 80-85 IQ.
I've never heard it explained in those exact words before, "a misunderstanding of the law and wanting to hear things that support their version of what they want to be true" You are so absolutely right.
What an offensive comment.

Just Blue

Px Hx is a MUST for this "drug dependent" poster. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">