• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a doctor refuse to reimburse when he is under insurance contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

If a doctor is in network and your insurance pays him under contract, refer to your insurance companies EOB for the visit. It outlines the contractual amounts the doctor agreed to accept, the portion they are paying under your contract and the portion you are responsible for. Some providers attempt to "balance bill" "accidentally". In fact I just received a $3k "accident". Call them and remind them of what the EOB outlines, they should adjust it. If they do not call your insurance company and ask them to intervene.

msmargiek

Thank you for your response

I have done all of that and the doctor still says he is not under that contract any longer. He said he is not under that EOB. He said he cancelled it but later recounted that his front desk help ;maybe" didn't follow through with all the paperwork to finish the cancelling of his contract. He will not adjust the bill and the insurance company said they can't help because the reduced amount is all they will pay and they are just taking the reduced amount off my deductible so they are not paying him directly. I paid him cash.

ecmst12

He shouldn't have even taken money from you up front if he was in network. You should ask the provider relations department at your insurance company to get involved, what he is doing is fraud and they should be encouraging him not to break the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">