• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the Doctor "Take the Rap" for Addicted Patients?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonpowell69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Georgia-I have a 26 yr. old son that was in a car accident about three years ago and they put him on Lortabs. Then,one thing led to another and after a while,he realized that he had aquired a habit with these pain pills. So, he went to another doctor about the situation and this doctor started him on a "treatment" for the addiction with another drug,(suboxone) to replace the pain pills and eventually "wean" him off of them. Well, it's been a year since he started this treatment, and now he has an addiction to the Suboxone. I'm thinking that since this doctor hasn't even started to take him off of this stuff that maybe he can be held liable for this newly found addiction. I know I sound like I'm looking for a scape goat, but my son does not nor has ever had an "addicted type" bone in his body.I just feel like this doctor has been very irresponsible with the treatment that he's given my son,by letting run on like he has. :( :mad:

justalayman

my son does not nor has ever had an "addicted type" bone in his body.
really? Then why was he addicted to the Lortabs?

I just feel like this doctor has been very irresponsible with the treatment that he's given my son,by letting run on like he has.
does the doctor shove the suboxone down his throat? If your son wanted off the drugs he would get off the drugs.

Maybe a little responsibility for one's own actions is called for here.

ecmst12

Your son is an adult and this is none of your business. The dependence on suboxone is purely physical, it doesn't provide a psychological high and it prevents him from going into withdrawal, which he may not be psychologically ready to handle. Anyone can become addicted to narcotics, because it is a physical reaction. If your son would like to be able to stop taking the suboxone, he can talk to his doctor about it, or seek a second opinion from a different doctor. But the suboxone is not going to control his life like an addiction to an illegally obtained substance. And it has to be HIS CHOICE.

OHRoadwarrior

I chose the non drugged senseless route and have survived that way for decades, even though I have my days where I may not seem that way. Your son needs to grow a pair and decide to get off them completely. They don't stop pain, they only make you so fogged you don't care about it.

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Georgia-I have a 26 yr. old son that was in a car accident about three years ago and they put him on Lortabs. Then,one thing led to another and after a while,he realized that he had aquired a habit with these pain pills. So, he went to another doctor about the situation and this doctor started him on a "treatment" for the addiction with another drug,(suboxone) to replace the pain pills and eventually "wean" him off of them. Well, it's been a year since he started this treatment, and now he has an addiction to the Suboxone. I'm thinking that since this doctor hasn't even started to take him off of this stuff that maybe he can be held liable for this newly found addiction. I know I sound like I'm looking for a scape goat, but my son does not nor has ever had an "addicted type" bone in his body.I just feel like this doctor has been very irresponsible with the treatment that he's given my son,by letting run on like he has. :( :mad:
Your son is 26, MOM.

He is a narcotics addict.

He will be for life.

Be thankful he is on Suboxone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">