• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a DR/PA really do this?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashley30563

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

Hi, My husband who suffers and has been diagnosed with Chronic Migraines and a Pinell Cyst on his brain, which is causing the pressure for a migraine. He does have a neurologist and a primary care doctor that he does see and follow up with. His Dr's has tried mulitple medications on him but nothing seems to work. He is on 7 pills a day and sometimes he gets a really bad migraine that requires a trip to the ER for a shot. Last night we went to the ER we always go to (30 miles from home,but in same city as his other doctors) The PA came in a very rudely and bluntly told my husband that "Your name is popping up too much on the computers here, and there is fixing to be nothing else they can do for him there". He also said that people were "getting the wrong impression on him there, especially since he drives from out of town"," That it's millons and millons of medications out there that his doctors can perscribe to him instead of him coming to the ER" He said that he was going to go ahead and medicate him, but it would be the last time they could. I think this is very rude and labelling him out as an "Druggie" My husband has been diagnosed and is trying to get disablility for his health problems.

Hot Topic

I'm drawing a blank on what a P.A. is. The first thing that came to mind was finding out who that person's supervisor was and reporting them. They come off as speaking for everyone, and I doubt that's the case.

It doesn't sound like a P.C. would necessitate going on disability, and as far as I know, there are medications that control migraines. I used to suffer from migraines until I discovered something later sold over the counter that controlled them.

Last edited:

tranquility

Physician's assistant?

Keep a notebook with medical tests and conclusions for your husband. Any time you go to the doctors, put the record in the notebook(s). Bring them with you to the ER. (I'd start choosing the one nearest home.) Show them to the doctor. I understand I had a different problem with my wife (breast cancer metastasis to the brain) but the end result was a number of ER visits to deal with the pain beyond the high-powered options I had at home. (Sometimes the pressure gave a nausea which prevented use of pills.) I never had a problem. After a while, it felt like Cheers.

justalayman

although terse, I do not see a huge problem with the statements if the PA believed they were justified. Make a complaint to the hospital administration of you feel so inclined.

Personally, driving 30 miles to a hospital does tend to raise a red flag.

Your husband needs to check into self administered injections for his migraines. I do not know what medicine he is receiving but there are some meds available for self administration.

Ladyback1

Hi, My husband who suffers and has been diagnosed with Chronic Migraines and a Pinell Cyst on his brain, which is causing the pressure for a migraine. He does have a neurologist and a primary care doctor that he does see and follow up with. His Dr's has tried mulitple medications on him but nothing seems to work. He is on 7 pills a day and sometimes he gets a really bad migraine that requires a trip to the ER for a shot. Last night we went to the ER we always go to (30 miles from home,but in same city as his other doctors) The PA came in a very rudely and bluntly told my husband that "Your name is popping up too much on the computers here, and there is fixing to be nothing else they can do for him there". He also said that people were "getting the wrong impression on him there, especially since he drives from out of town"," That it's millons and millons of medications out there that his doctors can perscribe to him instead of him coming to the ER" He said that he was going to go ahead and medicate him, but it would be the last time they could. I think this is very rude and labelling him out as an "Druggie" My husband has been diagnosed and is trying to get disablility for his health problems.

Rude? Probably
But you do realize for every legitimate patient they see in the ER needing pain meds--they see countless others who ARE drug seeking??
And sometimes it gets damned difficult to tell the two apart. Unfortunately, it's easier to paint everyone w/ the drug seeking brush.
Why doesn't your husband's treating MD have standing orders at the nearest ER for pain meds? Why drive 30 miles, when it would be easier and faster to go to the nearest ER? All it would take is a couple of phone calls, and the local ER could be the best place to get immediate relief.

arsenic

The PA was abrupt, but also on the ball. Your husband's story would be similar to many, many ER clients seeking drugs. It is unfortunate, but ER staff quickly develop a cynical, no-BS attitude.

In your husband's case, he needs to get his neurologist's pain-med recommendations entered into the computers of his "usual" ER. He may also want a referral to a teaching-hospital pain center for his complicated medical issues. Going to the ER every so often for a shot of narcotics for a non-terminal illness is not optimal care.

arsenic

Hi, My husband who suffers and has been diagnosed with Chronic Migraines and a Pinell Cyst on his brain, which is causing the pressure for a migraine**************
Migraine headache is a specific entity and is not caused by a brain tumor. If the pineal cyst is causing headaches by increasing brain pressure, your husband would have had brain surgery already.

With no other info than what you posted, I would back up the ER physician's assistant 100%. In fact, I think your husband is drug-seeking, and may benefit from an addiction counselor.

Last edited:

arsenic

although terse, I do not see a huge problem with the statements if the PA believed they were justified. Make a complaint to the hospital administration of you feel so inclined.

Personally, driving 30 miles to a hospital does tend to raise a red flag.

Your husband needs to check into self administered injections for his migraines. I do not know what medicine he is receiving but there are some meds available for self administration.
Yeah, but rest assure they are not narcotics, which is what the OP was seeking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">