• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for a doctor not releasing medical records.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrjinx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I requested in writing that my medical records be sent to me about 1 1/2 months ago. I have yet to receive them. Can you sue for doctors not releasing your records?

Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I requested in writing that my medical records be sent to me about 1 1/2 months ago. I have yet to receive them. Can you sue for doctors not releasing your records?

Thanks

Did you call your doctor and ask why your request has not yet been honored?

Does your doctor have a fee for copying and sending you the records? If so, did you pay that fee?

ecmst12

You can't sue, but you don't need to. File a complaint with the HIPAA board. That should get some results.

JETX

Couldn't this be medical malpractice for not following standard of care?
First, there is NOTHING in the OP to even suggest malpractice.
Second, there is NOTHING in the OP to even suggest a less than standard 'care'.
Third, can you really be that stupid??

lealea1005

So there is no civil liability for not releasing MY records? Come on.....
Nope, and why should there be? They are the property of the Physician who must maintain/store them for at least 7 years (longer for minors).

You have a right to review your record at any time free of charge.

If you'd like copies of your records, you may be charged a fee (according to your state regs) and that fee may have to be paid before the records are handed over to you.

What is the reason they will not release your record?

Couldn't this be medical malpractice for not following standard of care?
Copying your record has zip to do with standard of care.

mrjinx

Neither Doctor has responded and I have sent a letter requesting the records certified. One of the Doctors initially said they no longer had the records even though it was before the 5 year period required by Florida law and then later recanted and said they did have them but they were in storage.

MJ_Smith

getting medical records

I had this problem recently and I suggest that you call and ask for the office manager and let him or her know that you have previously requested the med records (HIPAA regulations are different for each state but typical is is 30 days and sometimes longer) and did they know that they are currently in violation of the HIPAA regulations? (if they have gone over the time limit for that state.)

Sometimes the office staff don't know how high the fines are for the violation but the office manager and the doctor should know and act quickly. I received my records within 2 days after faxing a written letter to one office and talking to the office manager of another office. I had placed 3 calls to the latter office with no response and they always said they couldn't find the records in storage but after the office manager was told. I received a call the next day and they found them and they were in the mail to me. Hope it works for you.

Darras-Law

Know the reason behind not releasing your medical record

You have complete right to ask for your medical record at any point of time. If the doctor is not releasing your medical record this means that there must be somespecific reason for not releasing, please ask the doctor. May be you have not paid the amount that is medical record generation fee, if there is any other reason doctor will surely let you know and the procedure to release your medical record.

swalsh411

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the OP either owes money to the doctor or will not pay the fee to get his records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">