• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my family have my brother committed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Legace

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if it is. My situation is this. My younger brother (20 years old) is struggling with some personal issues, including bulimia. We (my family) have been aware of the problem for about two years now...we have done everything we can think of to help him. He refuses to see a psychologist...we all feel he needs to be in some type of mental health facility, but we do not know if we have the power to do so. Can anyone help?

C

CALIF-PRO36

Legace said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if it is. My situation is this. My younger brother (20 years old) is struggling with some personal issues, including bulimia. We (my family) have been aware of the problem for about two years now...we have done everything we can think of to help him. He refuses to see a psychologist...we all feel he needs to be in some type of mental health facility, but we do not know if we have the power to do so. Can anyone help?

My response:

His parent(s) can file a Petition for Conservatorship in the Superior Court. A court psychologist and Guardian ad Litem will be appointed - - all at your parent's expense. If the court, through the said experts, determines that he's a life risk to himself, or a danger to others, then the court will order that he be committed to the appropriate facility.

IAAL

Legace

thank you for your quick response. My parents do not have a lot of money, I'm sure the rest of us can get some money together, what would this cost, roughly?

C

CALIF-PRO36

Legace said:
thank you for your quick response. My parents do not have a lot of money, I'm sure the rest of us can get some money together, what would this cost, roughly?
My response:

Between the attorneys for your parents and your brother, the court fees and costs, the various expert fees and reports, and the health care facility, your parents can easily figure on spending $25,000.00 to $50,000.00.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Your brother is an adult, so the family tackeling this problem now is far more expensive than had it been addressed when he was still a minor. You may want to seek out a support group, who in turn may assist in some sort of an intervention. Treatment is costly, so if he is court ordered into treatment, who is going to pay for it and how do you guarentee that it will be successful the first time? If he is denying his problem or maintaing his weight it may be very difficult to force him into therapy, no matter how much money is spent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">