• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can A Parent Sue for Pain and Suffering for an injury to their Child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

northdakotagirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

Just wondering if a parent can sue for pain and suffering for an injury to their child? We are in the process of settling a lawsuit for our child (nothing has been signed yet). All of the money will more than likely go to a structured settlement. However, we will continue to have out of pocket expenses and missed work. Plus we have been the ones who have been damaged thus far with emotional suffering. Our child's future is unsure. I quit working because daycare is too expensive for a special needs child and, in the end, I don't make enough money to break even.

Is it normal for a parent to sue for injury to THEMSELVES after a child's injury? Part of me hates asking the question because I don't want to appear greedy - but I do believe that my whole family has suffered greatly.

Thank you for your help.

ShyCat

This sounds familiar. Did you post this before mentioning both a son and a daughter, and then delete the thread when someone questioned the gender switch?

<wondering if I'm going crazy>

Hot Topic

You Are Guilty
Quote:
Originally Posted by northdakotagirl
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I am in the process of settling a case outside of court. In the end, my daughter will end up with about 40% of the settlement after taking attorney's fees and expenses out. Somehow, this feels wrong. Is this really legal? My daughter is the one that suffered and will suffer her whole life....

What does it say in your written retainer agreement?

And is your daughter a minor?

It appears as if the OP is doing an "end around" to get $$$$ through this inquiry about parents receiving money for THEIR pain and suffering. As far as I can tell, there was no answer to You Are Guilty's questions about the retainer or the age of the daughter.

Last edited:

barry1817

suing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

Just wondering if a parent can sue for pain and suffering for an injury to their child? We are in the process of settling a lawsuit for our child (nothing has been signed yet). All of the money will more than likely go to a structured settlement. However, we will continue to have out of pocket expenses and missed work. Plus we have been the ones who have been damaged thus far with emotional suffering. Our child's future is unsure. I quit working because daycare is too expensive for a special needs child and, in the end, I don't make enough money to break even.

Is it normal for a parent to sue for injury to THEMSELVES after a child's injury? Part of me hates asking the question because I don't want to appear greedy - but I do believe that my whole family has suffered greatly.

Thank you for your help.
In today's world it seemes one can sue for anything if they can get an attorney to take the case. Does that mean you will win, who knows.

Is it right, moral or ethical, that is another question.

Guess the only way a person can determine that is if they would want a person to sue them under similar circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">