• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[Canada] Legal advice for health advice videos on Youtube/social media

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pharmacist360

I'm in Quebec, Canada and I've now been a pharmacist for two years and I've been thinking about producing material on youtube to help the general population. The target population is global and not only for my country.

Now my main concerned is legal in nature, as I sure as hell don't want to get sued or get my licence taken away because I tried to help people for free...
I would post videos about minor health problems and what to do.

I plan on doing short videos (5-10 minutes) about what to do for certain simple health problems that do not need to be addressed by a doctor. For exemple, what to do after a sunburn, a capsule on sunscreens, simple haemorrhoids problems, treatments for lice, etc. Obviously I would finish all clips with "red flags" and people who have these flags should consult a physician.
I would probably have a disclaimer at the end of the video, or written in the information at the bottom of the video with something like this : "This information by no way replaces the advice from a physician or other health professionals and is only basic in nature to help the population understand the treatments of minor health problems"

Where can I find documentation on this. Has anyone ever been sued or lost their licence because they gave advice on the internet and someone got hurt by misinterpreting the information (even if outside of canada).

I really hope I can make it happen, but if the risks are too high, I will have to cancel. No point ruining my life over it.

quincy

I'm in Quebec, Canada and I've now been a pharmacist for two years and I've been thinking about producing material on youtube to help the general population. The target population is global and not only for my country.

Now my main concerned is legal in nature, as I sure as hell don't want to get sued or get my licence taken away because I tried to help people for free...
I would post videos about minor health problems and what to do.

I plan on doing short videos (5-10 minutes) about what to do for certain simple health problems that do not need to be addressed by a doctor. For exemple, what to do after a sunburn, a capsule on sunscreens, simple haemorrhoids problems, treatments for lice, etc. Obviously I would finish all clips with "red flags" and people who have these flags should consult a physician.
I would probably have a disclaimer at the end of the video, or written in the information at the bottom of the video with something like this : "This information by no way replaces the advice from a physician or other health professionals and is only basic in nature to help the population understand the treatments of minor health problems"

Where can I find documentation on this. Has anyone ever been sued or lost their licence because they gave advice on the internet and someone got hurt by misinterpreting the information (even if outside of canada).

I really hope I can make it happen, but if the risks are too high, I will have to cancel. No point ruining my life over it.
You will need to seek assistance in Canada. This site handles U.S. law questions only.

In the U.S., as a note, disclaimers will not protect you from a lawsuit. They only work to mitigate damages in the event what you publish leads to a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">