• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check cashed stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashleysmpsn09

South carolina

I recently had a financial aid check stolen by my mom and she took it to the check cashing place and they are supposed to ask for I'd and clearly they didn't she was able to cash the check but what they fail to realize is that I stopped all payment by calling my school to report it stolen and I took out a police report and they had to get a search warrant because the check cashing place wasn't willing to hand the footages over to police after all that they arrest mom and now the school is saying I have to file a civil lawsuit against the check cashing place because they trying to go after my school to get there money back and I'll have to go through restitution to get my money back from mom... I don't think that's right at all if they were at fault for not making sure it was the right person ... Please someone help me what do I need to do to get my money back the check was for 667.00

justalayman

it may not seem right but your mother is the one that has your money so that is where you go to get it back.

ashleysmpsn09

And on top of that I called and asked the check cashing place did a person come and cash my check and they was like yes I'm so sorry I didn't realize until after the fact

justalayman

Even if the company went against policy and procedure by not checking for I'd??
if it was law, it may make a difference. Policy is simply what a company chooses to do and just as they choose to do something, they can also choose not to do it at any time they choose as well.

your mother has your money. get it from her. The check cashing place does not have your money. In fact, they got screwed here as well. They gave your mother money but they cannot get the money owed them for that transaction.

quincy

Your mother is the one that cashed the check illegally. Sue her.

Your question has nothing to do with medical and health care malpractice.

ashleysmpsn09

I understand what u are saying but when I spoke with my financial aid supervisor and corporate they was saying that I can go and talk to the check cashing manager and talk to him or her about what their employee failed to do and see if they wanted to settle if not then to get a lawyer ... I'm just confused on thus whole thing I feel that I am being punished ...when it was stolen from me and they keep giving me the run around

Proserpina

I understand what u are saying but when I spoke with my financial aid supervisor and corporate they was saying that I can go and talk to the check cashing manager and talk to him or her about what their employee failed to do and see if they wanted to settle if not then to get a lawyer ... I'm just confused on thus whole thing I feel that I am being punished ...when it was stolen from me and they keep giving me the run around
Sue. The. Thief.

Thief = your mother.

justalayman

so you talked to them and they told you they aren't going to give you any money. Case closed. Sue your mother if you want to attempt to retrieve your money.

as far as what your financial aid supervisor told you; sure you can get a lawyer. It won't do you any good but you can spend your money and hire one if you want. The check cashing place does not owe you anything. You would be wasting your money.

Unless the check cashing place was legally obligated to verify the person seeking to cash the check, there is nothing a lawyer can do for you other than take your money and make idle threats to the check cashing place.

look at it this way;

if it was cash and your mother stole it from you, who would be liable to repay you?

what if she used the money to buy a turkey from the local Bob's World of Turkeys. Would Bob's World of Turkeys owe you the money or would your mother still owe you the money? Do you think getting a lawyer would get Bob of Bob's World of Turkey to give you any money? I don't think so.

There really is no difference between your mother stealing your check and stealing your cash once it is cashed,

and the only punishment you are receiving is due to your mother's actions. Why are you so reluctant to sue your mother?

ashleysmpsn09

Why are you so reluctant to sue your mother?

I'm not its just I'm being told different stories ...the check bounced from the school and everyone is saying go after check cashing place and mom would have to pay them back.. I even got the same message from my own school I pressed charges on her and they only charged her with petit larceny ... They didn't even charge her with forgery or opening up my mail... And if the check cashing place would have seen on her I'd that the name on the check didn't match so that's their fault not mine

ashleysmpsn09

The school is saying in order for us to refund u a replacement check we would have to have verification that the store violated procedures and we will be happy to give u your financial aid check and the store would have to receive restitution from her that's was the schools words just saying

quincy

Why are you so reluctant to sue your mother?

I'm not its just I'm being told different stories ...the check bounced from the school and everyone is saying go after check cashing place and mom would have to pay them back.. I even got the same message from my own school I pressed charges on her and they only charged her with petit larceny ... They didn't even charge her with forgery or opening up my mail... And if the check cashing place would have seen on her I'd that the name on the check didn't match so that's their fault not mine
It is your mother who is at fault. It is possible that she provided false identification. But the bottom line is that your mother was the one who cashed the check and you must sue her if you want your money.

Or don't if you don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">