• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Account / Ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supermaltese

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.

I took an ADSAC test at a local services center. The results of the test included a recommendation that I take and "complete 24-week anger management course."

I called every place that offers anger management and the longest one I could find offered anywhere was 12 weeks.

I thought this was odd, so I called the place that administered the test and told them that I couldn't find one. Their reply was, "Oh. You should have asked us first, because we offer one."

It was $110 for the assessment (on top of the $170 ADSAC assessment fee), and $30 per week.

I paid the fees and began the classes.

A few weeks before beginning the classes for anger management, I also began counseling for drug abuse at another center. During the course of the drug abuse counseling I revealed everything I've said here so far. My drug abuse counselor told me it was unethical for the ADSAC assessment recommendation to require me to do a course that is only offered by one location, and that that location profit monetarily from me also. He said it is considered ethical to make suggestions for at least two other avenues to complete the recommendations.

I stopped going to the anger management classes. My drub abuse counselor has the same government printed material handbook on anger management. So, now Monday's I have drug abuse counseling and on Thursdays I have anger management, both are with the same counselor. I will receive a certificate of completion and all the counseling is free.

So, today, I received a letter from the counseling center where I had been attending the $30/wk anger management classes which says I owe them $570 even though I only attended 6 weeks of counseling. Each week I attended I would pay $30 cash, rather than wait until the end to pay a lump sum.

Hmmm...

Thoughts? I feel like I've been wronged.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.

I took an ADSAC test at a local services center. The results of the test included a recommendation that I take and "complete 24-week anger management course."

I called every place that offers anger management and the longest one I could find offered anywhere was 12 weeks.

I thought this was odd, so I called the place that administered the test and told them that I couldn't find one. Their reply was, "Oh. You should have asked us first, because we offer one."

It was $110 for the assessment (on top of the $170 ADSAC assessment fee), and $30 per week.

I paid the fees and began the classes.

A few weeks before beginning the classes for anger management, I also began counseling for drug abuse at another center. During the course of the drug abuse counseling I revealed everything I've said here so far. My drug abuse counselor told me it was unethical for the ADSAC assessment recommendation to require me to do a course that is only offered by one location, and that that location profit monetarily from me also. He said it is considered ethical to make suggestions for at least two other avenues to complete the recommendations.

I stopped going to the anger management classes. My drub abuse counselor has the same government printed material handbook on anger management. So, now Monday's I have drug abuse counseling and on Thursdays I have anger management, both are with the same counselor. I will receive a certificate of completion and all the counseling is free.

So, today, I received a letter from the counseling center where I had been attending the $30/wk anger management classes which says I owe them $570 even though I only attended 6 weeks of counseling. Each week I attended I would pay $30 cash, rather than wait until the end to pay a lump sum.

Hmmm...

Thoughts? I feel like I've been wronged.
I agree with you that it sounds unethical. In fact, it sounds very much like the arrest websites that publish mug shots and, in order to get the mug shot removed, a person needs to pay a site that is owned by the same site that owns the arrest mug shot site. Some states that have investigated the websites have called this "extortion."

You might want to see an attorney in your area for a personal review of the contract you signed with the counseling center, and a personal review of the facts. The attorney can, depending on what he thinks after this review, send to the counseling center for you a strongly worded letter speaking to ethics and the law.

This may (or may not) get you out of paying the $570, even if you signed a contract agreeing to the terms of counseling.

Good luck.

(Oh. You have an interesting posting history on this site ...)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">