• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colonoscopy Gone Bad!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakers

On December 4, 2009 at 7:30 am, I was prepped for a routine colonoscopy. During the procedure I woke up with a great deal of pain; I was screaming and crying for the doctor to stop. He gave me more drugs to put me under but I woke up again.

Once the procedure ended, I was still in a great deal of pain which was in my upper left shoulder and neck down to my lower left stomach area. My husband was brought into the room, He told the doctor that I was a very strong person and if I was showing that much pain it must be very bad.

I was given 25 milligrams of Demerol through my IV although the doctor was hesitant because of all the medication I was given during the procedure.

The doctor explained that he was able to remove two large polyps and put medical bands on those areas, he was concerned that he may have perforated my colon. They were to rush me to x-rays in another building for a body scan; if my colon was perforated I would have to have immediate surgery. I was given another 25 milligrams of Demerol.

The medication had taken affect and I was resting more comfortably. The test results showed no perforation of my colon. The doctor explained to my husband that he did the internal work on my right side abdomen area so the area was giving me so much pain must be filled with air. I was placed in a recovery room with an attending nurse. I slept for a time but was still in a lot of pain. The nurse told me that “my experience was very unique, something like this only happens to a fraction of people”.

Around 3:00 I was taken to my car by wheel chair and released. The doctor had told us it would take about 24 hours for the air to leave my stomach. The ride home was very difficult, because of the pain in my left side; it was hard to take anything but shallow breaths.

My husband had to take a week off from his job to care for me.

Either the doctor or his assistant would call and check on me two - three times a day.

By December 6, 2009, I had not shown any improvement. It was painful to move or take deep breaths. I needed help from my husband to use the bathroom. I was so nauseated I could not eat. I was then prescribed pain and nausea medication.

After still showing no improvement by December 7, 2009, the doctor scheduled a dye injected body scan and a blood test. The tests showed that there was a collection of fluid around my spleen (probably blood) it could be a tear or it could be a lesion which was 9 – 10 centimeters in length. My white blood cells count was around 12,000 (normal level being 5,000 – 10,000) He said it obviously happened during the colonoscopy, he apologized.

I wasn’t better the next day so another blood test was ordered. The white blood count was still around 12,000 so an antibiotic was prescribed (Levaquin 500MG) and more pain medication (Hydrocod/APAP 5/500).

When the doctor’s assistant called to check on me December 14, 2009, my husband told her I was beginning to feel better. We haven’t heard from them since.

Do I have any recourse? I am in Oregon.

Thank you

Last edited:

lya

I am in Oregon
All depends on whether or not the physician acted in accordance with the minimum standard of care. Perforations are a risk of the procedure and may required surgery.

If you are continuing to improve, request a follow-up visit for evaluation of the fluid or lesion involving the spleen area.

LAWMED

So if I read this correctly, the ultimate diagnosis was a ruptured spleen, but no bowel perforation, caused by the colonoscopy? Splenic rupture after colonoscopy is VERY rare with less than 50 cases ever having been reported in medical literature. Your symptoms are classic for a ruptured spleen with a blood collection around it....left upper abdominal pain radiating to the left shoulder and nausea etc. While rare, it is also potentially life threatening most often requiring emergency surgery and blood transfusion. Depending on the amount of bleeding and size of the rupture it CAN be treated without surgery at times but requires very close observation in a hospital. I am rather surprised you were not hospitalized immediately once it was discovered.

I assume you ARE feeling better? Not to worry you, but you are not entirely out of the woods yet. Any worsening of symptoms should result in a trip to the ER ASAP. Re-bleeding and infection are still very possible and the less activity the better for the next few weeks.

As i said it is a rare, but known complication and it can occur even without negligence or mistake.

dakers

You are correct, the diagnosis was a ruptured spleen caused by the colonoscopy.

I am feeling better, the pain is gone, but I feel lethargic.

The doctor called to check on me today. I asked him If I needed to have a follow-up scan and blood test; he said is was not necesary because the body would heal on its own. But if my condition changed to call him immediately.

I am so confused.

dakers

I will contact my insurance company on Monday to find out how I can see a different doctor since my current doctor says no further testing is needed.

I will also try to find an attorney to talk to on Monday, any suggestions?

I really appreciate your input and expertise. Thank you.

LAWMED

Having your blood work done is very prudent. As for whether you have any malpractice cause of action, while you do have damages (additional medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, etc.) it is very questionable whether there was any negligence.....and negligence is a required element of a malpractice lawsuit. No negligence = not responsible for your damages.

Of the cases like yours reported in the medical literature, no clear cause of this type of injury has been found. It can happen regardless of the colonoscopy technique and regardless of the location of the biopsies or polyp removals. As such, it is a rare, but known complication that can happen absent any negligence. You would have to prove negligence occurred and you may have a hard time doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">