• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusing hospital visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodavon

Tennessee.

So, long story short, my heart was racing and I was blacking out, and while I am familiar with severe panic attacks, this seemed different, so I went to the ER.
The doctor told me that I had high blood pressure and that I should take 25mg of Vistaril (a low dose of an antihistamine) to lower my heart rate
and blood pressure. He didn't tell me that it was just anxiety and that the pills were just to shut me up, so here I am thinking that this might
actually be serious.

So the next day I take the pills and I am somewhat more relaxed. My blood pressure is 150/86, and I realize Vistaril isn't indicated for high blood
pressure. So I go to a walk-in clinic, and they redirect me to the ER because they can't handle emergencies. I call the hospital and ask them to change
the prescription because I thought they had made a mistake. They tell me they can't do that over the phone and that I have to go back to talk to the doctor.

However, when I go back and tell them the story, they put me in one of those rooms and end up repeating all the tests they had done less than 12
hours prior. Finally, a doctor arrived, different from the previous one, and briefly lectured me about how I shouldn't go to the ER for continued
medical treatment. I told her that I was just there to dispute the prescription. She told me that "Vistaril is a good drug," and her tone of voice and
attempts to talk over me made it very clear she would not hear anything to the contrary. She then gave me a bunch of false information about the
drug, saying that it was supposed to build up in my system and that it had an "accumulative effect," and that I would notice improvement in a couple of days.
None of these claims are true, and more importantly, they were irrelevant since I had been told my problem was high blood pressure.

Apparently, they knew there was nothing wrong with me the entire time, and they just didn't tell me. So not only am I slapped with a second ER
labwork bill that I did not consent to by the second doctor, but the first doctor basically lied to me.

What can I do? The total balance is over $1,400, after discounts. I haven't talked to the hospital about this yet. I know I can't exactly sue them for
malpractice, and there weren't any real damages, but can I at least dispute some of the charges since I was basically tricked into going a second time?
Also, shouldn't they have told me I was fine and it was just anxiety? None of this would've happened if they had been upfront with me from the start.

If I can't get out of the bill, how should I go about filing a formal complaint? The incompetence of this hospital scares me and a lot of my friends, and I
would like to think they'd be more responsible (or at least professional) if there actually HAD been a real emergency.

ecmst12

Go to your regular doctor for treatment of chronic, non-life threatening medical conditions. Stop using the emergency room when it's not an emergency.

Gail in Georgia

" can I at least dispute some of the charges since I was basically tricked into going a second time"

How were you tricked into going back a second time? You didn't get instant relief from taking the Vistaril, became concerned and sought further medical treatment for which you were billed.

Vistaril is an excellent medication to treat anxiety. Anxiety can cause an increase in blood pressure.

" I would like to think they'd be more responsible (or at least professional)"

As in running a series of tests to rule out anything more serious than anxiety? Isn't that what the ER did and what you are complaining that you got billed for?

Would you not be complaining over the bill if this had been a serious medical issue? That, say, having a heart attack would have made you feel better about these charges?

Gail

swalsh411

You obviously felt it was an emergency because you went to the emergency room. Therefore they treated you like it was an emergency, real or otherwise. Emergency care is very expensive.

I see no basis for you either getting out of the bill or filing a complaint. Just because the tests ruled something out doesn't mean they didn't need to be run. You also seem to think you know better than doctors.

justalayman

What can I do?
pay your bill.

If you do not want to be faced with bills from the ER, don't go the ER, especially for a non-emergency situation. Rather than going back, you should have gone to your PCP and let him/her adjust/alter your medication.

If I can't get out of the bill, how should I go about filing a formal complaint?
write a letter to the head administrator of the hospital.

Apparently, they knew there was nothing wrong with me the entire time, and they just didn't tell me.
actually, there is something wrong with you. Why would you go the hospital if there was nothing wrong with you? You did have high BP, correct and a high pulse rate, right? and you even had high BP the following day so there is something wrong with you. What it is seems to be the question not answered.

Hydroxyzine(hye drox' i zeen) (generic name)

Why is this medication prescribed?

Hydroxyzine is used to relieve the itching caused by allergies and to control the nausea and vomiting caused by various conditions, including motion sickness. It is also used for anxiety and to treat the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
as you can see, it can be used as treatment for anxiety. There was nothing improper about the prescription.

rodavon

How were you tricked into going back a second time? You didn't get instant relief from taking the Vistaril, became concerned and sought further medical treatment for which you were billed.
I just went in to correct what I was certain was a mistake, or at least negligence. Vistaril isn't for high blood pressure.

Vistaril is an excellent medication to treat anxiety.
Well, 25mg of Vistaril is hardly excellent. But regardless, I wasn't diagnosed with anxiety, I was told I had high blood pressure and they made it sound like it was an emergency.

Anxiety can cause an increase in blood pressure.
Irrelevant. Other medical conditions can also cause high blood pressure.

" I would like to think they'd be more responsible (or at least professional)"

As in running a series of tests to rule out anything more serious than anxiety? Isn't that what the ER did and what you are complaining that you got billed for?
They did it twice, a second time after KNOWING there was nothing wrong with me, when I did NOT request the tests or knowingly consent to them.

rodavon

You obviously felt it was an emergency because you went to the emergency room. Therefore they treated you like it was an emergency, real or otherwise. Emergency care is very expensive.

I see no basis for you either getting out of the bill or filing a complaint. Just because the tests ruled something out doesn't mean they didn't need to be run. You also seem to think you know better than doctors.
You seem to be unable to read a forum post.

I didn't go to the emergency room to have tests run that had already been run less than 12 hours prior. I went there because they said I could go back there and dispute the prescription. I thought there was something wrong with me. If there had been, prescribing Vistaril would've been negligent. Since there wasn't, they should've told me from the start instead of telling me that there was a medical problem other than anxiety.

rodavon

If you do not want to be faced with bills from the ER, don't go the ER, especially for a non-emergency situation. Rather than going back, you should have gone to your PCP and let him/her adjust/alter your medication.
According to the doctors, it was an emergency situation.

actually, there is something wrong with you. Why would you go the hospital if there was nothing wrong with you? You did have high BP, correct and a high pulse rate, right? and you even had high BP the following day so there is something wrong with you. What it is seems to be the question not answered.
If I had dangerously high blood pressure, they shouldn't have prescribed a low dose of an antihistamine, which is not even an experimental treatment. Hypothetically, I could've died. Of course, they knew I was fine the entire time, but they didn't tell me, which landed me in the ER less than 12 hours later.

as you can see, it can be used as treatment for anxiety. There was nothing improper about the prescription.
Can you people not read? I wasn't diagnosed with anxiety until I went in a SECOND time, to dispute the prescription. I'm paying for their incompetence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You obviously have a history of severe panic attacks. Perhaps you ought to be getting that treated?

rodavon

You obviously have a history of severe panic attacks. Perhaps you ought to be getting that treated?
Thank you for your concern, but I'm here for legal advice, not medical advice. Although it's very hard to tell if there are lawyers here, or if I'd be better off on Yahoo Answers.

justalayman

Thank you for your concern, but I'm here for legal advice, not medical advice. Although it's very hard to tell if there are lawyers here, or if I'd be better off on Yahoo Answers.
first, read the TOS. Then,

So, long story short, my heart was racing and I was blacking out, and while I am familiar with severe panic attacks, this seemed different, so I went to the ER.
The doctor told me that I had high blood pressure and that I should take 25mg of Vistaril (a low dose of an antihistamine) to lower my heart rate
and blood pressure. He didn't tell me that it was just anxiety and that the pills were just to shut me up, so here I am thinking that this might
actually be serious.
You did have high blood pressure, when he checked you. You also complained of "blacking out". You also had a high pulse rate. All symptoms of anxiety. That, along with:

I am familiar with severe panic attacks
strongly suggests you have anxiety problems so, the doctor treated you for the most likely malady. You did respond as shown by the BP dropping as well as apparently no more blacking out and a lowered heart rate.

I realize Vistaril isn't indicated for high blood
pressure.
but it is a treatment for anxiety which is what you were presenting, not merely just high blood pressure.

and while you argue you were treated for high BP, you seem to forget you posted this:

and blood pressure.
a high pulse rate is not typical of high BP but it is typical with anxiety.

So I go to a walk-in clinic, and they redirect me to the ER because they can't handle emergencies.
why would you go to the walk-in clinic concerning a question about your treatment at the ER? If you have a question about your treatment at the ER, you go to the ER and ask them. Apparently you were still complaining about your symptoms so they treated you. If you did not wish to be treated, you had the option of refusing but you didn't.

The incompetence of this hospital scares me and a lot of my friends,
are you all members of the High Anxiety Club?

I
would like to think they'd be more responsible (or at least professional)
more responsible? You came in complaining about a set of symptoms. They examined you and gave you an initial diagnosis and treatment. Sounds like they were very responsible to me. Sounds like you have some problems beyond the anxiety which might actually be the cause of your anxiety. You should seek help for that.

OHRoadwarrior

From a financial and medical perspective, you appear to have made very poor choices. From a legal perspective, you are liable for the bills you incurred making those choices. :cool:

rodavon

You did respond as shown by the BP dropping as well as apparently no more blacking out and a lowered heart rate.
why would you go to the walk-in clinic concerning a question about your treatment at the ER? If you have a question about your treatment at the ER, you go to the ER and ask them. Apparently you were still complaining about your symptoms so they treated you.

If you did not wish to be treated, you had the option of refusing but you didn't.
I did, I told them I was just there to talk to the doctor and I didn't want tests. I was hardly in any shape to fight them.

more responsible? You came in complaining about a set of symptoms. They examined you and gave you an initial diagnosis and treatment. Sounds like they were very responsible to me. Sounds like you have some problems beyond the anxiety which might actually be the cause of your anxiety. You should seek help for that.
They didn't give me a diagnosis except high blood pressure and the even more vague "palpitations."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">