• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

could this be sexual harrassment? or something else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mewaxwiz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

One day I received easily 30-40 text messages from my Chiro - someone I have had a professional relationship with for over 12 years. I made it very clear I was not interested - he shouldn't be talking to me - he needed to stop - he can't call me babe. I never saw this coming. I never felt uncomfortable when he provided me services, etc... My question is - if I were to file charges with the powers that be, 1) what would happen to him professionally - 2) is this considered sexual harassment? It hasn't happened since, and I made a phone call to him that following Monday to "address" the issue and that he cannot communicate with me in that manner ever again. I also had to do the same, when his snooping wife found his phone bill and called me. I saved all text messages to cover my butt - as a professional, I cannot have an angry woman making things up, and he is aware that I saved messages, as well. He has apologized - twice now - and supposedly admitted to his wife, he made a poor choice texting me. Do I let this go?

Thank you

eerelations

You can report him to whatever board governs his license, and he will probably have his license suspended or removed permanently. But getting to that point will be a huge hassle for you, mainly in time but possible money as well, so you have to think hard about that before you proceed.

Based on what you've posted however, it doesn't sound like this guy is a serial harasser (i.e., he does this to all or at least many of his female patients). It sounds like he's known you for some time (12 years) and decided to connect even further with you. (I'm surmising here that his contacts were not explicitly sexual but more flirtatious in nature, everything I'm saying here is based on that.)

If it was me, I'd take into account the fact that he's stopped, has apologized twice, and approached me in this manner only after knowing me for 12 years (which indicates to me he probably doesn't do this to all his patients all the time). I would leave his care and find a new chiropractor, but not before explaining to him why, and that I am keeping all of the evidence and will use it if he ever contacts me again or if I ever hear of him doing this to anyone else - patient or otherwise - in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">