• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cryosurgery failure to remove spot on face

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnwind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN.

My wife developed an age spot on her face. She went to see a dermatologist and was told an cryosurgery process would freeze and take care of it. She took the advice and paid $280 for the procedure. But the spot became even bigger after the surgery. When my wife went back for the follow up appointment, the doctor said that the Cryosurgery was not successful and gave my wife some cream to use. Now about 3 months later, the situation hasn't got better and the spot size is big and obvious (about twice the size before the procedure). I know this is more about cosmetics. My wife is very sad about it. We are looking for other ways to cure.

Do we have a case here? or is it just a normal unsuccessful treatment? What is acceptable and what is not?

BTW, I used to register in Pre-paid legal service, but cancelled couple of years ago since it was no use. Actually I have never been to the court. Maybe I should re-enroll to the program to get free legal consulting.

ecmst12

Sounds like an unsuccessful treatment. You have not posted anything to indicate malpractice or negligence.

mnwind

Got it, you need all the details.

There are two common techniques in cryotherapy. The simple and mild way is to dip a cotton swab in the cryogen then quickly apply to the skin spot. The other method is to spay cold nitrogen directly on the skin for far more severe spot.

The doctor chose the 2nd technique, which might be an over kill. The spot my wife has now is more from the side effect of this technique, and the color is different from old spot.

We believe that if the doctor tried cotton swab instead given that my wife's original spot was fairly mild. The issue might have been avoided.

Sounds like an unsuccessful treatment. You have not posted anything to indicate malpractice or negligence.

xylene

Who is we?

We believe that if the doctor tried cotton swab instead given that my wife's original spot was fairly mild. The issue might have been avoided.
Do you mean you and your wife?

or

Your and your wife and another doctor who is an expert in the field (and willing to testify) ?

Do you even have a second opinion apart from that she is unhappy with the outcome?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect this is an expected possible outcome of the procedure and your wife was advised of that.

mnwind

We mean my wife and me.

Another doctor told my wife that he would try the cotton swab, the mild treatment first. He is against being aggressive when applying this kind of procedure on the face. That is his opinion. He asked my wife to wait for a few more months to decide what to do about the current spot.

The demortologist who did the procedure for my wife is agreesive type, and he told my wife the success rate is nearly 100% if spray the liquid directly on the spot, and he had never seen any side effect or failure. Now he says that my wife is the 1st such case he ever experienced.

Do you mean you and your wife?

or

Your and your wife and another doctor who is an expert in the field (and willing to testify) ?

Do you even have a second opinion apart from that she is unhappy with the outcome?

xylene

Ask this other doctor if he believes the approach was malpractice.

Some doctors opt for more aggressive treatment, that doesn't mean malpractice. There is a case for both approaches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">