• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

delay of information of death to patient's family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigshow22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CALIFORNIA

Quick question.. I'm worried that the family of a patient of mine might sue the facility. there was a delay in informing the patient's family of the patient's death. There was approximately around 12 hour delay. This was due to mis-communication of the attending nurses.. does the family have a case or can they sue the facility?

thank you..

ecmst12

I don't think this is something you could sue over. I mean, anyone can sue anyone for anything they want, but this isn't malpractice.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CALIFORNIA

Quick question.. I'm worried that the family of a patient of mine might sue the facility. there was a delay in informing the patient's family of the patient's death. There was approximately around 12 hour delay. This was due to mis-communication of the attending nurses.. does the family have a case or can they sue the facility?

thank you..

This is a patient of yours and you have to ask the question? :confused:

Mass_Shyster

Sure, I can think of plenty of reasons to sue for failing to notify the family in a timely basis. They are all fact dependent, but they exist.

Time to circle the wagons.

OHRoadwarrior

These are not a result of delaying notification of death.
Having seen more than a few corpses in my day, I can assure you, paying your last respects, while you arrange transport of a fresh corpse, is much nicer than arranging one that is 12 hours old. Though I do not think it is actionable, I can see it as a bit more unpleasant.

CdwJava

It also depends on the kind of facility and the county where it was located. In some cases, notification would have to be done by the Coroner's office or only after the Coroner has issued a waiver or released the body.

There are a number of possibilities.

Plus, I don't see how a delay of a few hours could result in a realistic claim for damages to support a lawsuit.

bigshow22

thanks for your replies guys. to answer the question i was a caregiver of the patient and the one in charge before my shift was the one who was supposed to call the family. and in the paper work it says family was notified and so no one called the family.. And we were all in trouble with our boss for that. I feel really bad.. but I hope the family won't press charges...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">