• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delayed treatment/incorrect reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsurecured

Louisiana.
I was brought to the ER via EMS for respiratory failure. The attending ER Doctor incorrectly diagnosed me as a drug overdose. The physician told 3 of my family members that he was certain I had overdosed on substances. All diagnostics and treatment was delayed. I was kept in the ER, intubated with no other treatment; when they received the Chemical report back (the following day) stating I was negative for substances, the physician apologized to my family for his assumption and then quickly admitted me to ICU for sepsis treatment with IV antibiotics and I was put into a drug induced Coma. The day after I was admitted, they reduced the sedating medications and I was in and out of consciousness. Apparently, they had a Psychiatrist evaluate me a few hours after I initially "woke up", though I was still in and out of consciousness and I do not recall his evaluation. The psychiatrist put in his report, "patient has history of abortion at age 15". I was floored! I have never had an abortion; EVER. I was skocked and humiliated. He also added that I was depressed, and superficial, "sick looking" but alert and oriented - untrue. The psychiatric notes, and the medical discharge summary also notes that my husband is in "recovery" for substance abuse, however patient has no history of illicit use. I do not know why my husband's information is pertinent to my treatment. After the psychiatric evaluation, a speech therapist and physical therapist had to assist me with eating and help me to walk with the use of a walker. I was discharged the morning after the psychiatric evaluation although I could not walk on my own and was complaining of a headache, and was still disoriented. The diagnostics showed I had ascites, gallbladder distention, and a focal fatty lesion on my liver. I had extreamly elevated WBCs and C-reactive protein. These were not cleared upon discharge. Because of my headaches, I returned to the ER 2 days later to receive a "blood patch" to close a whole in my spine resulting from a spinal tap they'd given me. The final diagnosis was: respiratory arrest, resolved & anxiety d/o. Based on this, I feel labeled, ashamed and mistreated. Especially given the false "history of abortion" in the Psych evaluation report. Do I have a case.

ecmst12

You can ask to have a note placed in your file correcting the statement about the abortion.

To a psychiatrist especially, everything going on in your family is relevent to your treatment.

Spinal headache is a known potential side effect of a spinal tap and a blood patch is a simple and usually effective treatment for it.

Your final diagnosis was appropriate and correct.

Antigone*

You can ask to have a note placed in your file correcting the statement about the abortion.

To a psychiatrist especially, everything going on in your family is relevent to your treatment.

Spinal headache is a known potential side effect of a spinal tap and a blood patch is a simple and usually effective treatment for it.

Your final diagnosis was appropriate and correct.
Since she does not recall the conversation with the psychiatrist, she might have well said that she did have an abortion. I don't see it as something that was charted in order to hurt the OP. It could easily have been a misunderstanding and can be corrected as Em has pointed out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">