• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied medical assistance/aid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Uberchap

I reside in Alabama, but the hospital in question is in Georgia.

In January of 2006 I was living with my folks and had been unemployed and uninsured for several months (however, on my 2005 federal and state income tax returns I filed as independent) due to a very severe case of chronic epididymitis/unknown ailment (varying opinions amongst two different doctors). I'd been referred to an orthopedic surgeon who suggested I undergo an MRI, CT Scan, X-Ray, as well as a Bone Scan. I filed for medical assistance via the hospital to see if I was eligible for any financial aid though I went ahead and charged my medical expenses to my charge card so I could undergo the tests while my paperwork was supposedly being processed. Two months(!) went by before I finally received a call from the hospital's financial office and was told, essentially, "Well, you've been paying for it (the tests)," to which I said, "No....charging it." And that was the end of the conversation. Now I'm stuck with the bills even though all scans came up negative. So, here's my question(s): How do I know the hospital even attempted to file any paperwork and if not, where, if anywhere, do I go from here? Thanks!

lealea1005

I reside in Alabama, but the hospital in question is in Georgia.

In January of 2006 I was living with my folks and had been unemployed and uninsured for several months (however, on my 2005 federal and state income tax returns I filed as independent) due to a very severe case of chronic epididymitis/unknown ailment (varying opinions amongst two different doctors). I'd been referred to an orthopedic surgeon who suggested I undergo an MRI, CT Scan, X-Ray, as well as a Bone Scan. I filed for medical assistance via the hospital to see if I was eligible for any financial aid though I went ahead and charged my medical expenses to my charge card so I could undergo the tests while my paperwork was supposedly being processed. Two months(!) went by before I finally received a call from the hospital's financial office and was told, essentially, "Well, you've been paying for it (the tests)," to which I said, "No....charging it." And that was the end of the conversation. Now I'm stuck with the bills even though all scans came up negative. So, here's my question(s): How do I know the hospital even attempted to file any paperwork and if not, where, if anywhere, do I go from here? Thanks!
Why would you go to an orthopedic surgeon for epididymitis? Are you sure you don't mean epicondylitis/etiology unknown?

Anyhoo, have you called the patient advocate department at the hospital to ask whether the paperwork was filed? You should have received some notification in the mail about your elgibility. It is not unusual for the process to take several months before receiving a determination.

In the meantime, you are responsible for payment of the bills, regardless of the test results.

Last edited:

ecmst12

You can try contacting the medicaid office, but after all this time, it may be too late to have retroactive benefits awarded.

Uberchap

Follow Up

I must have lacked clarity in my initial post: The hospital wouldn't file my financial aid application, which was completed in its entirety. I can't really fathom as to why not for it seems to me that's part of their job.

lealea1005

I must have lacked clarity in my initial post: The hospital wouldn't file my financial aid application, which was completed in its entirety. I can't really fathom as to why not for it seems to me that's part of their job.

It's YOUR responsibility to file for, and follow up on, any application for medical assistance, not the hospital's. They provided a service, you're responsbile for the bill.

Uberchap

Follow Up

Thanks to all for your patent and heady replies.

Quackery has no friend like gullibility. ~Source Unknown

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">