• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Crowns Are Wrong Color - Teeth 7, 9, 10

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrongcolor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello,

I recently had work done on my front four teeth on the top of my mouth. I had crowns put on teeth 7, 9, and 10. I had a filling put in tooth 8. The color of the crowns on 7, 9, and 10 are noticeably different than the natural color of tooth 8, which wasn't crowned, and the other surrounding teeth. My front teeth look worse than they did before I had the work done and is causing me personal grief. I try my best not to show them because it looks horrible and I don't want people to look down on me because of some bad dental work.

When I went in for the first appointment, the dentist ground my teeth down and placed temporary crowns on my teeth until the permanent crowns came in from the lab. He had one of his dental assistants choose the color shade of the crowns. They were also in a hurry because the work on my teeth had kept them an hour after closing time leading me to believe that my crowns, being the wrong color, are the result of them rushing the job.

I mentioned the color difference during my next appointment and the dentist said he would give me a good deal on a veneer to put on tooth 8 to match the color with the crown and that we would discuss it on my next visit. During my next visit, he mentioned that the veneer would be the full price of ~$1000 with no coverage from the insurance company.

I had another dentist look at the crown-work which happens to be my girlfriends father. He said that they did a poor job matching the colors and that they should have done a much better job. He does crowns in-house and he said he could have matched the colors correctly. You're probably thinking why I didn't go to him in the first place. I didn't go to him because his office doesn't accept my insurance.

Basically it seems as if the dentist who did the crown-work is unwilling to correct the problem unless I pay full price to correct his mistakes. Is there anything I can do in this situation? If it is of any help, the place I went to is called Sears Dental Works.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

ecmst12

Tell the dentist who did the work that you want the crowns replaced with ones of the right color. Don't mess around with the non-crowned tooth.

barry1817

dental

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello,

I recently had work done on my front four teeth on the top of my mouth. I had crowns put on teeth 7, 9, and 10. I had a filling put in tooth 8. The color of the crowns on 7, 9, and 10 are noticeably different than the natural color of tooth 8, which wasn't crowned, and the other surrounding teeth. My front teeth look worse than they did before I had the work done and is causing me personal grief. I try my best not to show them because it looks horrible and I don't want people to look down on me because of some bad dental work.

When I went in for the first appointment, the dentist ground my teeth down and placed temporary crowns on my teeth until the permanent crowns came in from the lab. He had one of his dental assistants choose the color shade of the crowns. They were also in a hurry because the work on my teeth had kept them an hour after closing time leading me to believe that my crowns, being the wrong color, are the result of them rushing the job.

I mentioned the color difference during my next appointment and the dentist said he would give me a good deal on a veneer to put on tooth 8 to match the color with the crown and that we would discuss it on my next visit. During my next visit, he mentioned that the veneer would be the full price of ~$1000 with no coverage from the insurance company.

I had another dentist look at the crown-work which happens to be my girlfriends father. He said that they did a poor job matching the colors and that they should have done a much better job. He does crowns in-house and he said he could have matched the colors correctly. You're probably thinking why I didn't go to him in the first place. I didn't go to him because his office doesn't accept my insurance.

Basically it seems as if the dentist who did the crown-work is unwilling to correct the problem unless I pay full price to correct his mistakes. Is there anything I can do in this situation? If it is of any help, the place I went to is called Sears Dental Works.

Thanks for the help!
Before I ever cemented crowns for my patients I would leave them alone and let them evaluate the tooth color before cementing them. If they approved they were cemented, if not the color was changed.

If you signed anything that accepted the crowns then you would be in problems, if you didn't you have to ask that they correct the problem.

Having a different tooth treated, because the crown colors aren't correct is wrong.

As to shades being correct, it can be difficult, but that is the dentist's problem and not yours. He could have had the lab technician come into his office to do the color evaluation, or he could have sent you to the lab, but what he did is wrong.

Your best bet, if he doesn't want to correct the problem would be to file for peer review on this case. If you win, you get refunded the funds and use the funds to pay elsewhere. This could be a problem if you don't have the funds, because you are only entitled to the remake, or the cost that you paid refunded.

If you seek legal, there is the potential to win the amount for corrective treatment, that is between a lawyer and you to discuss.

A dentist that takes a patient and treats that patient, never gets to perform treatment below the standard of care based on compensation paid.

But you have to let this dentist know that you are not satisfied, and will expect the treatment to be redone. It would also help to get good photos of what the teeth look like now, and how bad the color is with the treatment done. If you have photos with your smile prior that would also be helpful.

Truth be told, if a dentist can't match crowns to teeth, then I would tend to think that trying to place a veneer to match, may just create more problems as veneers are more finicky to get right than crowns are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">