• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Malpractice??? Do I have a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ef4045

I live in NY, when i was 14 I had a root canal done on a tooth my a dentist in the town I was living in at the time.....this past March I went for a regular checkup, keep in mind I have not been going to dentisits regularly since I was 18. At the checkup, they told me I had significant bone loss under this tooth and it appears that the root was perforated during the root canal. They told me an infection developed under there which caused the resorption of the bone and the tooth has to come out......Now here I am months later and almost 7 thousand dollars later in the process of getting the implant.....My question is, can I sue my previous dentist for screwing up my root canal for the 7000 it has cost me to fix it? If so, can I be awarded anything for pain and suffering?

seniorjudge

ef4045 said:
i should probably point out i am 28 years old
So it has been 14 years since the first dentist did work on you.

IF the statute of limitations has NOT run and you can still sue, you are going to have a tough row to hoe to prove that what someone did to you 14 years ago caused the damage.

There is no cause and effect...or, at least, you can't prove it.

barry1817

dental

ef4045 said:
I live in NY, when i was 14 I had a root canal done on a tooth my a dentist in the town I was living in at the time.....this past March I went for a regular checkup, keep in mind I have not been going to dentisits regularly since I was 18. At the checkup, they told me I had significant bone loss under this tooth and it appears that the root was perforated during the root canal. They told me an infection developed under there which caused the resorption of the bone and the tooth has to come out......Now here I am months later and almost 7 thousand dollars later in the process of getting the implant.....My question is, can I sue my previous dentist for screwing up my root canal for the 7000 it has cost me to fix it? If so, can I be awarded anything for pain and suffering?
I am just curious what the x-rays were showing during all your check ups because my experience is that bone loss takes time. Then the question would become did the dentist miss the bone loss during the exams which lead to the tooth being removed, and could there have been anything done to treat prior to the extraction.

NOt enough information to judge, and would love to see the x-ray record during your exams to see if something was a miss.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">