• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental malpractice do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmykds

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Back in May 2004, I began seeing a "cosmetic" dentist to have my teeth straightened. I needed a lot of work done before we could begin the process.

I needed around 9 cavities filled and 3 crowns, one of which ended up need a root canal. I was quoted a total of around $12,600 for all of the work needed. And took out a loan for that amount.

3 or 4 of the cavities were treated with something they called an ozone treatment.

Once I completed the straightening process which I was not satisfied with I was told I still had cavities that needed to be taken care of and that I still owed around $800 for the unexpected root canal. I paid that and questioned these other cavities they were now bringing up as I was told they were there since I began treatment, I was kind of blown off and told that they were just teeth that had the potential to begome cavities. My last visit to this dentist was approximately September 2005.

In November or December of 2005 one of my teeth developed an abcess it was one they had worked on and placed a crown on it. I called them and was told that it would require treatment at a cost of around $1200. And that an abcess can happen at anytime, and was not a result of anything they did wrong. I was given an antibotic and referred to another dentist that could do the proceedure, one or two weeks later the other tooth that they put a crown on the same day as the other also developed an abcess, which will cost another $1200 I have put off treatment on both teeth as I do not have the money and now one of them is infected again.

I'm wondering if I would possibly have a case against this dentist, as I feel and I'm sure can have confirmed that my teeth are in worse shape now then when they began treatment. I feel that because I didn't sign their consent form to have before and after photos used in their advertising that my treatment was rushed and I was not given the time nessesary for this work to be done properly.

barry1817

dental problems

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Back in May 2004, I began seeing a "cosmetic" dentist to have my teeth straightened. I needed a lot of work done before we could begin the process.

I needed around 9 cavities filled and 3 crowns, one of which ended up need a root canal. I was quoted a total of around $12,600 for all of the work needed. And took out a loan for that amount.

3 or 4 of the cavities were treated with something they called an ozone treatment.

Once I completed the straightening process which I was not satisfied with I was told I still had cavities that needed to be taken care of and that I still owed around $800 for the unexpected root canal. I paid that and questioned these other cavities they were now bringing up as I was told they were there since I began treatment, I was kind of blown off and told that they were just teeth that had the potential to begome cavities. My last visit to this dentist was approximately September 2005.

In November or December of 2005 one of my teeth developed an abcess it was one they had worked on and placed a crown on it. I called them and was told that it would require treatment at a cost of around $1200. And that an abcess can happen at anytime, and was not a result of anything they did wrong. I was given an antibotic and referred to another dentist that could do the proceedure, one or two weeks later the other tooth that they put a crown on the same day as the other also developed an abcess, which will cost another $1200 I have put off treatment on both teeth as I do not have the money and now one of them is infected again.

A tooth abcessing after a crown has been placed is something that does happen. It would have been kinder for the dentist to have informed you of the potential before starting treatment. One would have to see x-rays of the tooth prior to treatment to give anthing more definitive about the situation. i.e. large filling needing crown is different than cosmetic crown turning into need for root canal.

I'm wondering if I would possibly have a case against this dentist, as I feel and I'm sure can have confirmed that my teeth are in worse shape now then when they began treatment. I feel that because I didn't sign their consent form to have before and after photos used in their advertising that my treatment was rushed and I was not given the time nessesary for this work to be done properly.

One would need to have a consultation to determine the quality of the care given, which would be the basis for malpractice. Via a forum that can't happen.

There are a lot of questions that you seem to be seeking and most likely you will need an evaluation of your mouth and a comparison with what was there before you started treatment to get full answers.

If you are close to a dental school, it might be worth having them do a diagnosis, as if you were a new patient, and then compare that with treatment done, and see what exists.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">