• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is dentist culpable for not prescribing proper pain medication?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biggstim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My dentist gave me prescription pain meds after a root canal. After I went home, the pain became much worse and meds weren't effective. Since dentist office was closed, I had to go to
ER for stronger meds. The ER bill was $1200. Is the dentist culpable for this ER bill?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My dentist gave me prescription pain meds after a root canal. After I went home, the pain became much worse and meds weren't effective. Since dentist office was closed, I had to go to
ER for stronger meds. The ER bill was $1200. Is the dentist culpable for this ER bill?
The answer to the TITLE question asked by biggstim would be "possibly," depending on what medications were prescribed by the dentist.

If the medications prescribed were IMPROPER or INCORRECT medications that led to an adverse reaction, it is possible that the dentist could be held liable for an emergency visit.

That said, and under the described situation, the dentist should not be held liable for the costs of an emergency room visit, the visit of which was ONLY because biggstim wanted additional pain relief.

This post is only to bump spam off the main board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">