• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist Estimate vs. Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levi.g

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My 2 year old son had a consultation with a dentist (which cost $200 alone) upon which they decided he needed 1 crown and 1 filling. They gave me a written estimate of $420. They just completed the procedure without complications, never informed us of extra charges or procedures and charged us just under $800. They did not once tell us that it would be more or ask permission to do anything extra outside of the estimate. In the end, he has one crown and one filling. Is this legal?

quincy

My 2 year old son had a consultation with a dentist (which cost $200 alone) upon which they decided he needed 1 crown and 1 filling. They gave me a written estimate of $420. They just completed the procedure without complications, never informed us of extra charges or procedures and charged us just under $800. They did not once tell us that it would be more or ask permission to do anything extra outside of the estimate. In the end, he has one crown and one filling. Is this legal?
It could be legal, yes. It depends on all facts.

Do you have dental insurance?

RRevak

Did you ask if there would be additional charges? Estimates are just that, estimates. They do not always reflect 100% the final charges for a procedure as things can come up that are unexpected. Did you talk about how additional procedures would be calculated or handled before they began work?

Just Blue

Did you take your 2 year old for a second opinion? I ask because it seems a bit odd that such a young child would have such severe dental problems.

Just Blue

I was wondering the same thing as Blue.
I can think of a few reasons why the child had these issues.
1. Doctor was full of ...crap and scamming the parents.
2. Child has "soft" teeth and predisposed to dental problems.
3. Parents are giving this child too many sweets at a very young age.
There may be other reasons...And hopefully OP will answer my other post.

LdiJ

I lean with the scamming...

Just Blue

I lean that way because my daughter got scammed by a dentist regarding my granddaughter's teeth. Her new dentist had a royal hissy fit about it, which was how we knew she got scammed.
It really seem a bit excessive for such a little one. I would really love it if OP came back to clarify.

Ladyback1

One reason: If the child has had a lot of health issues which required antibiotics. "Baby" teeth are adversely impacted by antibiotics.

It could be that the child's poor dental health is not anyone's "fault".

LdiJ

One reason: If the child has had a lot of health issues which required antibiotics. "Baby" teeth are adversely impacted by antibiotics.

It could be that the child's poor dental health is not anyone's "fault".
Yes, but putting a crown on a baby tooth? When I had a baby tooth that went bad the dentist just pulled it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">