• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luckyx49

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I have an issue that I would like to get some insight on. Recently (Monday, July 27, 2014) My girlfriend went to the dentist to get all four of her wisdom teeth pulled out, She ended up signing papers about it(Even though she didn't read them) and now has permanent nerve damage to the right side of her tongue. I was wondering if there was a slight chance she would be able to sue them for this? Maybe you can help me answer this.

Proserpina

Hello, I have an issue that I would like to get some insight on. Recently (Monday, July 27, 2014) My girlfriend went to the dentist to get all four of her wisdom teeth pulled out, She ended up signing papers about it(Even though she didn't read them) and now has permanent nerve damage to the right side of her tongue. I was wondering if there was a slight chance she would be able to sue them for this? Maybe you can help me answer this.
A bad outcome doesn't mean there was negligence.

She just had the procedure a week ago though - do they actually know what will and won't be permanent?

Luckyx49

A bad outcome doesn't mean there was negligence.

She just had the procedure a week ago though - do they actually know what will and won't be permanent?
They even to her themselves that she is going to have permanent nerve damage in he tongue from the procedure. They never said anything about it being from the anesthesia.

anearthw

Parathesia is a known risk of this surgery, I can guarantee that was on what she signed. However, most cases are not permanent and it can take up to six mo s. Is she absolutely sure they said permanent? I find it hard they made such a strong statement in the first week.

quincy

If your girlfriend does not have copies of the papers she signed, she should get them and read them over. What your girlfriend can and can't do is largely dependent on these.

Proserpina

She's positive that they said that.
She'll have signed the informed consent papers which will have discussed possible risks.

It's far too early in my opinion to make any long term prognosis (which is just about impossible until considerable time has passed). Permanent damage is remarkably rare too, and tends to happen in patients of a certain age group with a very deeply impacted tooth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">