• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I had a wonderful dentist who always did a great job with a minimum amount of pain, he was always precise and never left anything done poorly. I was very happy but then he changed on personal level - became angry and irritated with me. I have no idea why, I pay on time, I show up on time. Not sure what happened there. He also started refusing service - I'd tell him I need a filling and he'd say "let's wait and see", meanwhile the dental hygenist told him I need a filling, Then he put in a crown that looked very bad. When I said something about it, he said no one will see it since it is far in the mouth. The crown was shaped funny and uncomfortable. It gotten loose and he had to place it again. When taking out the crown instead of unscrewing all the way, he sort of ripped it out. And when I complained, acted like he did not know what I was talking about. Then crown gotten loose again - something with the screw. I politely asked him to be gently when taking it out and he gotten annoyed. But still, he took precautions and took out the crown without ripping it out. The problem is that if a procedure new to me and I do not know what's coming, I cannot ask him in advance to be gentle and so he does it rough. I was growing scared of him. Then crown gotten loose again and he sent me to the doctor who did the implant under the crown. That doctor told me implant is fine, put on the crown again and said it still needs to be replaced as there is a gap between two teeth which is not good and will pose a problem later on.

I have to go back to my dentist now to take care of the crown by him replacing it again, then having to have him fit it again and I know he will be more angry and rough. I know I can go to another doctor but it is really expensive and I did not even pay for this crown yet. My insurance will partially cover this crown but most likely will not cover a new one if I go somewhere else. And those crowns are very expensive, costs thousands of dollars. I simply cannot afford to just walk away. Can someone please give me an advice what can I do? I am desperate here

Proserpina

I had a wonderful dentist who always did a great job with a minimum amount of pain, he was always precise and never left anything done poorly. I was very happy but then he changed on personal level - became angry and irritated with me. I have no idea why, I pay on time, I show up on time. Not sure what happened there. He also started refusing service - I'd tell him I need a filling and he'd say "let's wait and see", meanwhile the dental hygenist told him I need a filling, Then he put in a crown that looked very bad. When I said something about it, he said no one will see it since it is far in the mouth. The crown was shaped funny and uncomfortable. It gotten loose and he had to place it again. When taking out the crown instead of unscrewing all the way, he sort of ripped it out. And when I complained, acted like he did not know what I was talking about. Then crown gotten loose again - something with the screw. I politely asked him to be gently when taking it out and he gotten annoyed. But still, he took precautions and took out the crown without ripping it out. The problem is that if a procedure new to me and I do not know what's coming, I cannot ask him in advance to be gentle and so he does it rough. I was growing scared of him. Then crown gotten loose again and he sent me to the doctor who did the implant under the crown. That doctor told me implant is fine, put on the crown again and said it still needs to be replaced as there is a gap between two teeth which is not good and will pose a problem later on.

I have to go back to my dentist now to take care of the crown by him replacing it again, then having to have him fit it again and I know he will be more angry and rough. I know I can go to another doctor but it is really expensive and I did not even pay for this crown yet. My insurance will partially cover this crown but most likely will not cover a new one if I go somewhere else. And those crowns are very expensive, costs thousands of dollars. I simply cannot afford to just walk away. Can someone please give me an advice what can I do? I am desperate here
What exactly do you wish to accomplish here?

You're implying that your dentist is deliberately going to hurt you unless you specifically tell him not to be "rough" - do you actually believe that's the case?

diamond20

I am not implying anything here, I am just stating what happened. He gets very angry at my saying that something is wrong and does not want to fix it.

diamond20

That was my experience with him and I do not understand why you are getting defensive. He did hurt me physically when it was not necessary and got annoyed when I asked to be more gentle. It is not normal whena patient is afraid to make a simple request

Proserpina

That was my experience with him and I do not understand why you are getting defensive. He did hurt me physically when it was not necessary and got annoyed when I asked to be more gentle. It is not normal whena patient is afraid to make a simple request
Who's getting defensive?! I have no dog in this imagined fight, my friend.

Your dentist has, in the past, been fairly tolerant of you telling him what you think you need (versus him deciding because, well, he's the expert and you and I are clearly not dentists). For some reason he's become less tolerant, and seems a bit sick of you. Is that right? Nobody is saying that he is "right" or "wrong" in what he thinks or feels - but we can agree that his attitude suggests that you're no longer his favorite patient. We can agree on that, yes?

Here's a quick reminder of what you originally wrote:

Feel free to clarify if you feel that clarification is necessary.

diamond20

Your replies are not at all helpful, not sure why you even bother replying. To up your self-esteem by attacking someone who is in pain from ill-fitting crown?

quincy

I had a wonderful dentist who always did a great job with a minimum amount of pain, he was always precise and never left anything done poorly. I was very happy but then he changed on personal level - became angry and irritated with me. ...

... Can someone please give me an advice what can I do? ...
Have you thought that perhaps the change in your dentist has nothing at all to do with you but has everything to do with him?*

I had a close friend who was an excellent and well-loved obstetrician. His personality changed and he suddenly became belligerent with family friends and patients. Everyone encouraged him to seek a medical evaluation (and if you know any doctors, they are often reluctant to admit they need a doctor themselves). It was discovered he had an inoperable brain tumor.

Something to consider, at any rate. Otherwise, I suggest you find another dentist. It is silly to go to one who scares you.

*based on your last post, I am thinking it has more to do with you

Last edited:

diamond20

Quincy, while it might be true, and the dentist might be having some health issues, I am more concerned about getting the crown fixed and having it covered by my insurance. If a person has health issues that prevent them from doing their job, it might be a good time to stop working with patients for a while, don't you agree?

Silverplum

Quincy, while it might be true, and the dentist might be having some health issues, I am more concerned about getting the crown fixed and having it covered by my insurance. If a person has health issues that prevent them from doing their job, it might be a good time to stop working with patients for a while, don't you agree?
I think you should stop being snippy with the advisors. If you don't like us, you can hire an attorney.

quincy

I have no doubt that you are more concerned about yourself and your pain than you are concerned about your dentist.

If you are concerned about yourself and your pain, however, you might want to ask your dentist if he is okay because you have noticed a change in him. He has also of late been, in your words, "refusing service," which might indicate he is having a problem.

It is entirely possible that you are the one who has experienced a personality change and have become more difficult and demanding because of bad teeth or with age or whatever, too.

You have a few options that I see: You can stick with the dentist and suffer through the pain until you get the crown you want, this to save money. You can address the issue directly with your dentist to see if there is something wrong. You can contact your insurer to see if another dentist will be covered and, if so, you can see another dentist. Or you can eat the cost and see another dentist anyway.

I do not see any dental malpractice, however - at least not in what you have related so far.

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like you need to call your insurance and find out if switching dentists now would cost you more. Then you can make an informed decision whether to do it now or wait until he is done with the crown.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">