• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentists Vs. Patients and Drug Use - what are patients rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariondupree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
When medical records go from one doctor to another (as in from a GP to a dentist) they see everything I assume, so I wonder, what are the patients' rights with regard to answering questions about drug use? And is it lawful for the dentist to ask the patient about them in front of others and is the patient legally bound to reply or ?? I mean, what recourse does a patient even have? It is an embarrassing situation and I feel it is abused by doctors/dentists in some very blatant and discriminating ways that are totally unfair and heart wrenching. I feel it is a breach of privacy . It certainly feels like a violation and public humiliation. And what is recourse if you are "fired" from continued treatment once this is discovered by said dentist? This is very difficult for me to talk about and very upsetting so I hope you can help and tell me exactly what I should say and do. Thank you so much!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
When medical records go from one doctor to another (as in from a GP to a dentist) they see everything I assume, so I wonder, what are the patients' rights with regard to answering questions about drug use? And is it lawful for the dentist to ask the patient about them in front of others and is the patient legally bound to reply or ?? I mean, what recourse does a patient even have? It is an embarrassing situation and I feel it is abused by doctors/dentists in some very blatant and discriminating ways that are totally unfair and heart wrenching. I feel it is a breach of privacy . It certainly feels like a violation and public humiliation. And what is recourse if you are "fired" from continued treatment once this is discovered by said dentist? This is very difficult for me to talk about and very upsetting so I hope you can help and tell me exactly what I should say and do. Thank you so much!
If you're embarrassed to talk about it in front of others, tell the person asking "I'd like to talk about this in private", or something to that effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">