• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a malpractice case for an incomplete tooth extraction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nakassak

Maryland

I had a dead tooth with a crown break in half with on the base remaining. My dentist and I had agreed to proceed with an extraction of the rest of it and an implant. He recommended an Oral Surgeon (Dr. S).

I’ve consulted with Dr. S and he agreed to complete the removal, add bone graph and possibly do the implant at the same time. He never took the initial x-ray as he received a copy from my dentist. During the surgery, he had trouble pulling the tooth out but completed the extraction and added the bone graph. After he was completed, he told me that he may not be able to complete the implant due to my mildly limited mouth width which he didn’t mention at all during the first consultation. After I let it heal for about a week, I went for the follow up. During this appointment, he removed the stitches and said that he will not be completing the implant due to the limited mouth opening. He never took an x-ray after the removal. He then suggested that I get a bridge with my dentist. I knew this would severely compromise my two teeth next to extracted one and decided to get a second opinion. I found another oral surgeon (Dr. Z). In the weeks that followed, I received a copy letter from Dr. S to my dentist with his suggestion to complete a bridge, but instead of citing my limited mouth opening, he said it was due to severe past infections of the tooth. I’ve actually never had infections to the tooth or in that area, ever.

During my consultation with Dr. Z, he took a full 3D x-ray of my lower jaw and analyzed my mouth opening. He gave me exercises to compete to stretch my jaw and said that he would be able to complete it. I have a surgery scheduled for the end of the month. However, he also said the Dr. S never fully removed the tooth and that he left roots of it still in its place. Dr. S then also put bone graph on top of the roots. Now, Dr. Z said that in order to complete the implant, he will need to remove that bone graph, remove the remaining roots, reapply the bone graph and only then complete the implant.

Do I have a malpractice case for Dr. S for not completing the extraction and for leaving parts of the tooth there and then for also adding bone graph on top of it? I would imagine that this could cause serious inflammation or other issues in the future. I’m also surprised that he never x-rayed to check the area after the extraction.

I am also wondering if I am able to at least request my money back from Dr. S for all the work he has completed since it all has to be redone the proper way.

I’ve collected all the paperwork and x-rays so far but haven’t addressed Dr. S office about this.

Thank you for your help.

Dave1952

Many medical malpractice lawyers offer free consultation. Call a few and explain your situation. Listen carefully to what they say. This will probably not be a huge amount of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">