• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

doctor did not disclose that a test will cost me....surprise with a bill in the mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PerryMasonry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I went to a throat doctor because of severe sore throat. It was my follow-up visit and the medical assistant nor the doctor did not disclose that the test that they will be performing will cost me. All they ask was how I was feeling & if there was improvement from my first visit...then they proceeding to explain what the test is and will be like.....but no word about having to pay for it. After I was finished, when I went up to the receptionist she only charged me $60. So I left the office thinking it was all good. Fast forward to 30 days later and I get a bill from the mail of $525! I was so shocked to see a bill that my hands were shaking badly from disbelief and anger. The thing is I don't have insurance when that doctor visit happened as I was out of the job for 2 months prior.

Am I at fault that I did not ask the medical assistant or the doctor if the test would cost me and by how much? Or is it the responsibilty of doctor or MA disclose that to me too before they proceeded with that test?
I feel that the doctor's office blindsided me and purposely withheld information. Had I know that the test will cost me, I would not agree to have it done on me. I have not visited a doctor for the past 20 years (thankfully) so I have no clue about how things go about.
Shouldn't doctors talk with their patients about health care costs, if for no other reason than to enable patients to determine whether they can afford to pay for the healthcare that their doctors are recommending them to receive. Especially when patient has disclosed he does not have insurance.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

"Am I at fault that I did not ask the medical assistant or the doctor if the test would cost me and by how much?"

Yes although one should realize that medical tests aren't "free".

It is also quite likely that your physician and medical assistant had no idea you did not have health insurance. Did YOU tell them this when you were with them?

At this point you might consider contacting the office manager of the practice and ask them if they might either consider reducing this bill a bit for you or ask if they will accept setting up a payment schedule so you don't have to pay this back in one lump sum.

Gail

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that medical tests are not free is so well known that I suspect it never even crossed the mind of either the doctor or the assistant that you wouldn't know there was a cost to it. Yes, if you wanted to know if there was a cost/what the cost was it was up to you to ask.

ecmst12

The doctor and the medical assistant likely had no idea what it cost anyway. Their job is to provide care, not deal with billing issues. Contact the billing office and talk to them about negotiating the price and setting up a payment plan. And if you can't afford insurance, apply for Medicaid.

justalayman

"Am I at fault that I did not ask the medical assistant or the doctor if the test would cost me and by how much?"

Yes although one should realize that medical tests aren't "free".

It is also quite likely that your physician and medical assistant had no idea you did not have health insurance. Did YOU tell them this when you were with them?

At this point you might consider contacting the office manager of the practice and ask them if they might either consider reducing this bill a bit for you or ask if they will accept setting up a payment schedule so you don't have to pay this back in one lump sum.

Gail
The bill could be from a third party which may be why the op wasn't billed at the time of the office visit. Some doctors utilize outside labs to process the samples taken at a doctors office. If this is the case the doctors office may have nothing to do with the billing for the test and as such, would not be able to negotiate a payment plan with the op.

PerryMasonry

"

Gail
I did tell the receptionist that I have no insurance. I also indicated it on the forms they let me fill out at the doctor's office.

PerryMasonry

Thank y'all for the advice. Lesson learned. I did apply for Medicare already last 22nd of December and found work recently as a part-timer. So I guess I'm gonna bargain with the doctor's office & find more work.

justalayman

Medicare? Are you over 65? If so, have you considered applying for your social security benefits? Your full retirement age can't be over 66 1/2 so any reduction in benefits would be minimal.

ajkroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Shouldn't doctors talk with their patients about health care costs, if for no other reason than to enable patients to determine whether they can afford to pay for the healthcare that their doctors are recommending them to receive. Especially when patient has disclosed he does not have insurance.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Regardless of how you feel about ACA, the presumption is that everyone has insurance now, so it is unlikely that the practitioner would assume you didn't have insurance. Those that don't have insurance are usually quite vocal and ask many questions about what everything will cost upfront.

Medicare is actually more beneficial if you begin to pay for Part B as soon as you are eligible; once you stop working, you will be expected to back-pay all of the premiums in order to use it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">