• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor Neglect and Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebblesflorida

yeah lealea, that is the only point I wasnt sure of. OP seemed to think they were anticipating blood loss and wanted to donate his own blood ahead of time. The rest of his story sounds like a derainged drug addict who is upset that he didnt get his fix. I have a feeling that he is on pain meds chronically and he was maxed out at the hospital and got mad. Atleast that is the feeling conveyed to me.
DERAINGED ADDICT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME, TRY HAVING YOU BACK CUT OPEN AND BEING GUTTED LIKE A FISH! I ONLY STARTED TAKING PAIN MEDS 2-3 MONTHS PRIOR TO MY DISC COLAPSING XMAS EVE! AT THAT IT WAS ONLY ZANAFLEX AND 5/325 PERCOCET YOU STUPID MORON!!!

Last edited:

pebblesflorida

Take a deep breath and turn off caps lock. Typing like that is what makes you look like an addict.

I have my caps on because a am furious. I came on this site seriously looking for honest advise and all I got was yelled out. It is not fair and I have never had surgery before and/or chronic pain. I only started taking pain meds 2-3 months before surgery and was afraid even to take them because I'm not used to them! They have no idea who I am and have totally prejudged me and my cae.

If they are in the medical field I feel sorry for their patients!

Last edited:

pebblesflorida

I do believe that it was harsh to jump to conclusions about the "drug seeking status" of the OP but there are a number of other things that I'd like to point out.

Referring to the notion of medication use, to adequately review this case the amount of pain medication you were taking before the surgery (if any) would have to be taken into account. When we develop resistance to opiods, the decrease in respiratory drive does not develop resistance at the same pace as pain control--often it is not affected. The subjecive value of this can be decreased by reviewing vital signs in the records. But to continue to give someone increasing amounts of pain medication "willy nilly" is irresponsible and that IS a breach of the standard of care. Yes, your surgeon should have discussed this with you before the operation.

This is untrue and has caused more apneic codes/intubation/ICU stays that I'd like to remember. I've seen it.

To be useful the blood has to be donated a good amount of time before the surgery or it defeats the purpose. This may be one reaso why he said no.

It did get you back into the hospital. You have to watch this because although you didn't mean it there are cases where people have been discharged and committed suicide.

When anatomy looks normal when you're looking at it, you don't mess with it. Surgery is the definitive diagnostic tool. There are no guarantees with back surgery, I've taken care of patients who have had too many to count. If he did fuse the other vertebra, there''s no gurantee that you wouldn't still have pain and need more surgery.

We do not know when or if the pt "contracted" staph. 90% + of surgical wounds that are infected with MSSA are S. epi from the patients own skin. Also an infection that develops almost 2 months later would not be attributable to a hospital stay--more than likely it is due to care of the area and body habitus.

Surgeons decide when to operate, not the PCP. This statement is "over the top" so to speak.

While this may be true, it may also be true that they were acting because they had more information than we do. It is unfortunate and wrong that we often jump to these conclusions.

Overall, I do think there are things that could have been done better. A pain service consult was warranted, if that service was available. However, the two things that could have resulted in long term damages, the need for a second surgery and the infection are risks of this procedure. Trying to win a malpractice case becuase you hurt after surgery would be dificult. Surgery hurts.

Good luck with everything and I hope that your back feels better.
Thank you MedMal with your very informative, well spoken posting. I really appreciate all of the information you provided.

I was NOT looking for people to agree with me I just wanted to know where I stood as far as neglect /malpractice. I can not believe the way I was blasted for my questions and seeking advice. I have been to hell and back and feel my patients rights have been violated and just wanted answers.

Again, thank you for your honest input, well done. :)

milliekeylargo

PebblesFlorida

Hi Pebbles,
I am a new member here and I also live in the State of Florida and had a spinal surgery and came here for some advice and I am shocked about how some of these members have treated you! :eek:
I had a 3 level 360 fusion in November of 07, L2 thru L5. First of all, my surgeon asked me to donate 2 pints of my own blood before surgery just in case I needed them, and guess what????????? I needed 4 post-surgery! So yes, it is common practice for most surgeons to ask patients for a blood donation before spinal surgery or some other extensive surgery. I was in the hospital for 9 days and in ICU for 4 and felt worst leaving the hospital that when I came in, specially and evil pain in my left leg and complete numbness, I was dragging my leg...... So I went home and started my recovery. My left leg pain kept getting worst and worst as the days went by, oh BTW I forgot to mention, I had an infection in the hospital also that required a drain and 4 days of Vicomicin drip, thank God for the in-house Doctor, because my surgeon thought that it was unnecessary for me to be in such antibiotics but the Infectious Disease Doc's disagree with him!
Anyway, so the pain kept getting worst and worst, I went to see my surgeon and he said that this was "normal recovery pain"************** and prescribe Lyrica and I was on Vicodin for the pain, Yeah, right! Almost 8 weeks went by and I contacted my PCP here in the Keys and told him about my situattion and issues and he had me in the local hospital ASAP having an MRI w/contrast, that was mid-January. Well the STAT MRI report shows that I had pieces of bone and disc matter that were left behind after my fusion and that they were impinging on nerves on my canal between L2-3, so my PCP contacted my surgeon and talked to him about my issues. The surgeon proceeded to call me at home, screaming at me! and see said: "What the hell are you doing getting MRI's from your Doc in the Keys, I am your dam Doctor!!" and I am quoting word by word what he said! even though I had called his office that Friday and told his Nurse that I couldn't stand the pain anymore and I was dying here! When he said that I just started crying since at that point I was so weak and in so much pain that I would have cried over spilled milk.
Well, I ended up see him at his office on MLK Day January 21st and by then I have brought a nurse friend with me to my advocate and of course, he was sweet as pie and send me to the hospital STAT to be admitted to have a Laminectomy/w/Foramitonomy in my L2-3. I was in complete bed rest (not even getting up to potty) for 2 days until they were able to fit me in on the OR, that was January the 23rd. To make a really long story short, too late now, huh? I am 8 months post fusion, I have been diagnosed with Fail Back Syndrome, I am in chronic pain 24/7 and I still have pieces of bone left on my spine that I refuse to get out right now, because I am over surgeries! I fired my original surgeon because all that happened to me during my recovery and then his attitude towards me after the second surgery was nasty and I couldn't stand him anymore! Then I find out thru my PT lady that he had 3 patients in the Keys committ suicide in the 12 years that he has been coming here due to chronic pain and his un-ability to provide this people with adequate pain management!! :mad: But nothing like that appears in the State of Florida site that I checked out before surgery, he was clean as a whistle!!
I found myself an NS that is very competent and he understood my chronic pain issues and send me to one of the best pain management Doctor's in Miami. I just had a Spinal Cord Stimulator installed 4 weeks ago that is taking care of about 50 to 60% of my nerve and back pain, but I am still taking medications for intractable pain, I lost my job as a social worker and I am now seeking SSD since my PM Doc does not believe that I will ever recover 100% from these surgeries! I came here looking for legal advice in my case, but I will be scare of getting any advice from people that treat others like drug seekers or drug addicts!!!!!!!! I guess that I will look in the yellow pages close my eyes and just pick a lawyer that I can speak to! For those of you that do not understand about intractable or chronic pain post-fusion here is a web site for you. http://pain-topics.org/pdf/intractable pain survival.pdf. Yes, and I do have all of my medical records, all of my MRI's, CT's, X-Rays, surgery notes etc...... Not all of us are uneducated morons, some of us understand the system and came here for advice and help!!!!

Millie

pebblesflorida

Hi Millie,

Your story brought tears to my eyes and finally feel that there is someone out there that believes me and what I went through. I actually feel blessed that I haven't had to go through the continued abuse you went through your doctor. I can't believe everything that you had to go to. I mean that's the problem as patients because the dr's and hospital staff are not doing their jobs that we as patients have to become our own advocates. I just wished that the people in the healthcare field that are burned out, GET OUT! Why take it out on us ligitimate patients. I never heard of that SCS device you have in your body what is it for and how does it work? I see you donated your own blood, see that's what I wanted to do but was told no, then next thing you know I was hooked up to a transfusion. I'm sure you must feel so much better knowing you have your own blood in your system. That's what I was trying to do, but my arrogant surgeon was so confident in his work, well guess what? he screwed up! Also because of Florida WC laws I was not allowed a 2nd opinion, WC chose this quack of a surgeon and I was stuck with him. I wasn't even allowed to use my medical insurance I had with my other corporate job. I just don't uderstand why. Even my WC atty. said it was against the law to use other medical insurance. So I was screwed from the beginning. That's why that one lady's stupid comment about researching before surgery not after surgery pissed me off, because she has no idea what she is talking. It's nice to be a coward and hid be hind your keyboard people isn't it!

I was very shocked at the treatment that I received on this site, as I was seriously seeking advice because I feel that my Patient Rights were majorily violated. Instead I was called all sorts of names, "drug seeking", DERAINGED DRUG ADDICT, insulted, and told that I was being dishonest about what all happened. I wish I could have made a story up so good, but unfortunately I had to suffer everything that I wrote and I have my medical records to back it up. I don't need to provide myself to some pig headed people that get off on their so called Dr. or RN license. The one ...said something about not having meds for 5 hours causing respiratory distress or something, well when I was re-admited to the hospital I had Sinus Tacachardia (sp?) and Hypokalemia (sp) amongst other issues, which they were concerned about because I have a heart murmor. I would be afraid to ever be in the care of those people who went off on me, gee I wonder what their fatality rate is since they think they are pretending to be God and judge people without any medical history.

As you can see there were 2 people who just jumped down my throat and assumed I was some crack whore or something. Besides bartending, I also worked on Live Television and there is no way I could be on any pain meds, so I suffered in silence. That's why I was so offended that the jerks here on this site would blast a new member looking for legal advice and was called a druggie. I guess since this is free advise, you know what they say about "free" you get what you pay for.

I promise you I will pass the word on through the news station that I work for an have this site investigated because they make you feel like it is a ligitimate safe site for people to discuss legal and personal matters but obviously that's not the case.

Millie I'm a new member too and I want to apologize for the ugly postings that you had to read because I'm sure it offended you being someone with Chronic pain. I am new to this whole cronic pain thing and it really made me cry and get upset. Then I'm mad at myself for letting those 2 morons make me feel that way. Obviously they are bullies I feel sorry for them. The "say" the are in the medical field... WHAT A JOKE. They need to work in a lab with rats not with people.

Anyway, I'm not going to get upset anymore nor post on this site anymore, but again i promise you will be hearing about this experience on the news soon.

Millie I wish you luck and will say prayers for you and hope that you will be able to manage your pain better. I pray that you are never accused of being a drug seeker, when those meds are the very things that allow you to live your life, unlike those people that you mentioned that commited suicide.

P.S. Millie, thank you again for sticking up for us with real chronic pain/failed back surgeries. I hope you find a good attorney that will listen to you and take your case. After reading these nasty postings, I spoke to a few people and they hooked me up with q great Law Firm so I already have an appointment on Thursday. I wish there was a way we could exchange phone #'s, perhaps I can find a referal from you away from this website... I would be scared for you if you used anyone from here. Well Good luck my Spiney friend! Pebbles

Last edited by a moderator:

milliekeylargo

Thanks Pebbles,
BTW, the one thing that I forgot to mention before is that someone said that you calling 911 was an abuse of the system and the tax payers??? Hmmmm. Well I don't know in what area of florida you live in but in my area my ambulance rides are paid by my insurance, tax payers only pay for people that do not have any type of insurance and as a WC case person, WC will paid for that ride and then some! And as a tax payer here just like you, I am glad that you were able to receive the services that you needed in your hour of need!

Lya,

FINALLY, a person that has a freaking clue. First of all I am a female for you 2 jerks that posted earlier. 2nd of all I have never had health issues requiring any of these meds I am on at this time. I have never had back issues or chronic pain in my life and am crying now because I can not believe the way those 2 people have treated me the way they did.

Thank you for your intelligent reply Lya. I'm wondering if the other 2 posters weren't JUNKIES OR DRUG SEEKERS!!! I have never had surgery in my life and had no family support to get me through this. I was scared to death and the pain was out of control. Even if the dr. doesn't care for his patients he still has the responsibility to respond to his colleagues phone calls. ESPECIALL THE ER doctor. I would have been treated that long if I was not in distress. There was physical evidence that I was in bad shape. Even the EMT's said it was good I got out of the nursing home becauase they didn't even have me in the system. They lied to the EMT's when they showed up and said that they didn't have anyone by the name. It was only because I have the EMT's over the phone my room number that they found me passed out!

Let me tell you I have never been so offended by a website when I am a disabled person looking for answers. Shame on alot of you for the way you handled yourselves. (Not you Lya).

I pray none of your loved ones are treated the way you have disrespected me on this site! If I did not have the surgery i would have been paralysed. I'm grateful that I can walk, but unfortunately the surgeon didn't fix the other disc that is herniated and now I need another surgery. Even my PCP is furious with the way that I have been treated and wants answers from the surgeon as to why he didn't do the proper procedures!.

The nurses would bring me water, neglected by my roommate and I and left us unbathed for 3 days, that is unacceptable. Perhaps that's why we had staph infections. When i asked for a bath on the 4th day, I got yelled at by the nurse telling me I should have told her we didn't have a bath in 3 days. I don't know as a patient that was MY JOB TO REMIND THE NURSES TO CLEAN THEIR PATIENTS!!! I did notice if I had visitors the nurses we sweet as can be, but soon as they disappeared, they were mean again.

How about the housekeeping lady wiping down the bio-hazard needle box and then wiping down out food trays with the same cloth? Is that just me bitching again? Or could that be considered unsanitary conditions?

Also what about the Patients Rights to be treated with dignity? AFter all all you Dr.'s get off on us bowing down to you! Honestly I commended RN's because they do so much work and don't get the proper credit.

Again, Lya thank you for your intelligent reply and having a bit of compassion. Geez, unbelievable.
OMG!!! Now, housekeeping is incompetent, the nurses were incompetent, the dr was incompetent, the nursing home was incompetent, the surgeon was incompetent, the ER was incompetent************************************************************************************Got it!!! You are right, everyone else is wrong and you are mad that we didnt agree with you and tell you that you have a case. Ok, keep asking until you get the answers you want AND THEN go to an attorney and see what he says. By all means, post the answer here. I am waiting with baited breath

lealea1005

Lya, my toes will survive. ;) I'm only one person and will admit that, at times, my opinions are jaded. I'll try to work on that. :eek:

Pebbles, Do not yell at me!! I was not rude to you. I still have a hard time believing that ALL the nurses and your surgeon purposely ignored your complaints of pain and requests for medication/relief. Perhaps the level of your pain skewed your memory.

I agreed with the possiblity of needing blood transfusions and your desire to be able to store your own blood for the purpose. I DO know all about the pain/discomfort/frustration of extensive back surgery.

Can you not see that calling 911 to "rescue" you from a skilled nursing/rehab facility for pain relief was a little over the top?

As medmaldoc already stated, there is a time requirement regarding storing one's blood for surgery. It is done one unit at a time with a minumum of 2 weeks between each unit donated AND at a significant cost ($300/unit in our case). If you do not use your blood, it is then discarded. If your surgery was done on an emergent basis, there would not have been sufficient time for you to donate/store your own blood.

For what it's worth, I hope you're feeling better.

lealea1005

Thanks Pebbles,
BTW, the one thing that I forgot to mention before is that someone said that you calling 911 was an abuse of the system and the tax payers??? Hmmmm. Well I don't know in what area of florida you live in but in my area my ambulance rides are paid by my insurance, tax payers only pay for people that do not have any type of insurance and as a WC case person, WC will paid for that ride and then some! And as a tax payer here just like you, I am glad that you were able to receive the services that you needed in your hour of need!

I said it was a "waste of healthcare dollars" and I stand by that statement. "Free" services aren't always mean "free", no matter how you wish to rationize it.....especially when using them in an inappropriate way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">