• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor no show Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charger1

California

My wife call a weight management clinic to set up an appointment. She had never been there before and had never talked to anyone at the office.

She was told she would have to give them a credit card which they would not charge but just keep on file. She gave it to them.

No fees were ever discussed including what it would cost if she wanted to go forward with their service.

On the day of the appoinment she had to cancel. She called early in the morning and left a message cancelling the appointment.

Our bank account was charged $150.00.

They will not refund the $$$

I understand that cencellations cause a big problem in the medical field.

The problem is that fees were never discussed and she was told the card would not be used.

Do we have any recourse?

Any help???

Thanks!

barry1817

no fee charge

California

My wife call a weight management clinic to set up an appointment. She had never been there before and had never talked to anyone at the office.

She was told she would have to give them a credit card which they would not charge but just keep on file. She gave it to them.

No fees were ever discussed including what it would cost if she wanted to go forward with their service.

On the day of the appoinment she had to cancel. She called early in the morning and left a message cancelling the appointment.

Our bank account was charged $150.00.

They will not refund the $$$

I understand that cencellations cause a big problem in the medical field.

The problem is that fees were never discussed and she was told the card would not be used.

Do we have any recourse?

Any help???

Thanks!
Were you ever told about a fee for cancellation and the cancellation policy.

Did you ever sign a statement that you were made aware of the office policy

I would go to the credit card company and dispute the bill.

Charger1

Never told about cancellation fee

Nothing ever signed

I would have already called the credit Card company but my wife gave our bank debit card# -

(She will never give out any card info again)

ecmst12

Why would they have asked for her credit card if not for JUST THIS REASON? I am betting she was told about the cancellation policy.

antrc170

Notify your bank. Many treat debit cards like credit cards and may refund your money and investigate the matter themselves. I have had this happen to me twice (where I filed a claim and the bank refunded my account and investigated the matter...[Arvest Bank]).

If not then send a letter to the company explaining that there was no notification of any cancellation policy nor consent to charge the debit card. If they do not refund the amount in full, you will file a criminal complaint for the fraudulent charges and seek civil remedies.

If they refuse to refund, file the complaint at the police station and file in small claims if you wish. Just be aware that in some jurisdictions the fee's outweigh what you'll get back.

Charger1

I asked my wife the exact same question. She said no fees at all were ever discussed. She wanted to go in and see what they were all about.

I guess they could have charged $1,000 if they wanted to.....

Charger1

I think I will have a friend call as a potential new patient to see what they say on the phone and record it.

Banned_Princess

I think I will have a friend call as a potential new patient to see what they say on the phone and record it.
I am pretty sure CA is a 2 person consent state, and the person recording must notify the second person of the convo being recorded, who then also needs to agree to be recorded.

Charger1

I think you are right. I won't record it but at least I can have a witness and hear for myslef what they say.

Charger1

I just saw your other post. I really appreciate the advice.

I will inform my bank and wirte a letter to the company.

Write your CC company . Note you never agreed to a cancellation fee, never was notified.

Most CC companies will ask for proof from the Dr. showing you were aware of the fee. If they see conflict, they should return the $$ to you.

Charger1

I jsut filed the claim with Bank of America. I didn't realize you can dispute a debit card purcahse. They will investigate.

Thank you for you advice. We will see how it goes.

Antigone*

Notify your bank. Many treat debit cards like credit cards and may refund your money and investigate the matter themselves. I have had this happen to me twice (where I filed a claim and the bank refunded my account and investigated the matter...[Arvest Bank]).

If not then send a letter to the company explaining that there was no notification of any cancellation policy nor consent to charge the debit card. If they do not refund the amount in full, you will file a criminal complaint for the fraudulent charges and seek civil remedies.

If they refuse to refund, file the complaint at the police station and file in small claims if you wish. Just be aware that in some jurisdictions the fee's outweigh what you'll get back.
That is not exactly correct antrc. The debit card is not treated like a credit card. It is treated in the same manner a check is. Since there was no fraud, the bank will not reverse the charge.

This is a civil matter and police intervention will not help. The clinic will say that this person willingly gave over her payment information in the event of cancellation.

The doctor's office charging for a no-show appointment is standard in the industry. They can see a certain number of patients and are expecting a specfic dollar amount of sales for that day. When a patient cancels on the day of the appointment, it is not always possible to fill that spot. The doctor's office should not lose revenue here simply because the patient decided they had better things to do on the spur of the moment.

parkersharon32

You can file for fraudulent charges if your wife never signed any contract or was really unaware of cancellation policy (in written). Inform the bank as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">