• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr. missed diabetes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssibf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Last year, I went to the doctor for a blood test. It was my first time seeing him and he wanted to do a full panel. He sent me the results via pdf (which I still have), with an added note from him that the results were normal.

Three months later, I went for another unrelated visit. The doctor from the first visit was on leave, so I saw another one in his office. The second doctor noted that my A1C level was high on the first test, and said that a second test would confirm that it was diabetes. A1C tests must be done 3 months apart, and because 3 months had past since the first test a second test was done that same day. My A1C was even higher in the second test, and the doctor made a diagnosis of diabetes.

I changed my diet and exercise, and my blood glucose dropped rapidly within in the first few days.

I've done some research on my own, and some medical organizations regard the A1C level of the first test as diabetic and some do not. I can't help but think that when we did the first test, I was on the cusp of crossing the line to "diabetic" and if I had started treating it then I may have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes or simply one high test result.

I know that the first doctor didn't give me the disease, but if he had told me about the result right away I could have avoided the diagnosis of diabetes, which is costing me real money. For example, my employer recently began offering group life insurance but I don't expect to qualify due to my condition.

I don't know if there may be problems proving that anything would have been different if the original doctor had brought up the test results when they first came in. Is there anything here worth pursuing?

Gail in Georgia

"I know that the first doctor didn't give me the disease, but if he had told me about the result right away I could have avoided the diagnosis of diabetes, which is costing me real money. For example, my employer recently began offering group life insurance but I don't expect to qualify due to my condition."

If the first physician had determined your elevated HgbA1C represented diabetes, you would have that diagnosis right from the start.

The fact that you have now changed your lifestyle habits does not mean you are "cured" of diabetes; simply that it is now under good control.

Gal

ssibf

If the first physician had determined your elevated HgbA1C represented diabetes, you would have that diagnosis right from the start.

Gal
A single A1C reading is not enough to diagnose diabetes. A1C test: Results - MayoClinic.com

I am not claiming I am "cured" of diabetes, but there's no bright line between pre-diabetes and diabetes. I had a chance to catch this as I was on the borderline before pre-diabetes progressed to diabetes, but missed the opportunity because I wasn't aware there was a problem. By the time the second test was done, I was clearly in the diabetic range.

ecmst12

You would not have been able to prevent getting this diagnosis. And if the result on the previous test was within normal limits, then there was nothing to tell you about anyway. What was your blood sugar?

davidmcbeth3

the medical community keeps on changing what diabetes is ... probably because the insurance companies can gouge you for more $$$.

You Are Guilty

Out of curiosity, what was the original A1C result (and reference range)?

Regardless, even if it was blatant negligence (which it seems it was not), due to the lack of any sizable damages, you will never interest a med mal attorney. Feel free to shop it around, but don't get your hopes up.

ssibf

You Are Guilty,

My first was 6.8, the second was 7.1, and another one I took 3 months later was 5.2.

I kinda figured establishing damages would be a problem.

To cbg,

If they didn't care about my medical record, why did they ask for it? You did notice I said life insurance, not health insurance?

justalayman

You Are Guilty,

My first was 6.8, the second was 7.1, and another one I took 3 months later was 5.2.

I kinda figured establishing damages would be a problem.

To cbg,

If they didn't care about my medical record, why did they ask for it? You did notice I said life insurance, not health insurance?
Results
By Mayo Clinic staff
For someone who doesn't have diabetes, a normal A1C level can range from 4.5 to 6 percent. Someone who's had uncontrolled diabetes for a long time might have an A1C level above 9 percent.

When the A1C test is used to diagnose diabetes, an A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes. A result between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes.

For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent or less is a common treatment target. Higher targets may be chosen in some individuals. If your A1C level is above your target, your doctor may recommend a change in your diabetes treatment plan. Remember, the higher your A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications.
based on that, the initial reading backed up by the second shows you already had diabetes at the time of the first test. The two tests are basically a confirmation. That is the only reason one test is not considered to be proof.

ecmst12

Each lab is going to have its own reference range and it can be slightly different from one lab to the next. But you still could not have avoided the diagnosis regardless. And your first result was outside the range for prediabetes even then. Now, I bet you knew before any of this happened at all that your lifestyle choices hadn't been so healthy. If you'd changed them BEFORE getting any scary test results, you might have avoided developing diabetes. It was already too late at the time of the first test.

CBG knows benefits. If she says you can't be denied for group insurance, be it life OR health, I would tend to believe her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">