• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr. not reimbursing for services paid out-of-pocket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Msradell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky press.

My wife has been visiting an out of network psychiatrist since last fall. Fortunately, my plan will pay for his services, anyway. He refused to believe this, so we paid out-of-pocket for the first three visits. He finally filed and received money from insurance. When my wife ask about refunding our payments he said it would cover deductibles? We paid $200 for the first visit and $85 for the other two. Insurance reimbursed him $296.

For her visits this year, he has billed the insurance company a higher amount per visit ($100 vs. $85), as well as an additional billing of $100 for services? All of her visits have been the same nothing changed. He was reimbursed $300.80 cents for these visits. When my wife visited today he said it financially, we were all even? He said he was charging more to the insurance company than he did to us when we paid out-of-pocket.

It seems like he's committing fraud by charging $200 this year, per visit when he was charging us $85 last year, per visit because he thought we would be paying. Also, in order to submit the $200 per visit this year he's billing for an office visit and for "Medical Services"

At the very least, he owes us everything we paid out-of-pocket and in the worst case, he's collecting fees fraudulently. Is what he's doing actually illegal?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky press.

My wife has been visiting an out of network psychiatrist since last fall. Fortunately, my plan will pay for his services, anyway. He refused to believe this, so we paid out-of-pocket for the first three visits. He finally filed and received money from insurance. When my wife ask about refunding our payments he said it would cover deductibles? We paid $200 for the first visit and $85 for the other two. Insurance reimbursed him $296.

For her visits this year, he has billed the insurance company a higher amount per visit ($100 vs. $85), as well as an additional billing of $100 for services? All of her visits have been the same nothing changed. He was reimbursed $300.80 cents for these visits. When my wife visited today he said it financially, we were all even? He said he was charging more to the insurance company than he did to us when we paid out-of-pocket.

It seems like he's committing fraud by charging $200 this year, per visit when he was charging us $85 last year, per visit because he thought we would be paying. Also, in order to submit the $200 per visit this year he's billing for an office visit and for "Medical Services"

At the very least, he owes us everything we paid out-of-pocket and in the worst case, he's collecting fees fraudulently. Is what he's doing actually illegal?
Does he?

Or does he have the right to raise his fees from one year to the next?

Msradell

Does he?

Or does he have the right to raise his fees from one year to the next?
I don't mind if he raises a fees from one year to the next, that happens with everything. But I do mind is that he didn't reimburse the money we paid for the visits last year, even though he also got paid by the insurance company. He also admitted, without being asked that he bills the insurance companies more than he bills patients were paying out-of-pocket. Also, he's charging for two different services for each visit, even though the visits themselves are still the same. It seems like he thinks he's found a cash cow to milk.

ecmst12

Call your insurance company and tell them how much you paid out of pocket. The doctor isn't in network, so they may not intervene, but they might. I'm not sure why you weren't submitting the claims for reimbursement yourself instead of having the doctor submit for you. And I would find an in network doctor for the future.

swalsh411

If you paid out of pocket you should have submitted the claims to get you reimbursed. It's bass akwards the way you did it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There IS a deductible on most OON claims. I've only once heard of a plan that doesn't, and it only doesn't for some limited items. You owe for the deductible no matter what. And on most (not all) plans the deductible resets on January 1 so you would owe the 2013 deductible even if you only just fulfilled the 2012 deductible.

Bottom line; you need to confirm with your insurance carrier what your deducible is and how much has been applied to it. It is by no means clear from your post that the doctor is doing anything wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">