• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drop foot, Following Hip Replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamajoyc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.

Hi:

I had total hip replacement in may 2008. Like many others, when I woke I had paralysis to my foot known as Drop Foot. I recently went to see a neurologist, who said that nerve damage was severe, but perhaps not permanent. She would know better in 3 - 6 months. However, Drop Foot conditions will last at least two years, if not permanent.

Is this a good case? Do I continue to see my surgeon? What else do I do now for a malparactice case (not treatment)? What sort of settlement do such cases receive?

I know a lot about the medical aspects of Drop Foot, but nothing about the legal implications. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mamajoyc

lya

I believe "when I woke I had paralysis to my foot known as Drop Foot" is a powerful statement. Clearly, the damage was done during surgery, not in the post-operative period.

Hip replacement surgery is a violent procedure. The femur is reamed out to provide a hole in which to place the rod/anchor portion of the prosthetic joint. The prosthesis is fitted into the hole by the use of great force; it doesn't just drop into place.

Without an act of negligence, 70% of all person with spinal stenosis will develop foot drop as the result of hip repacement. The surgeon has the duty to know if his patient has spinal stenosis, the duty to discuss with the patient the risk of foot drop after surgery, and the duty to discuss with the patient the possible effects of having foot drop.

The surgeon, the nurses, and the anesthesist have the duty to manage the patient without increasing the risks. Positioning of the patient during the procedure may have been performed in a negligent manner, either by lack of timely repositioning or by restraining devices that constrict circulation.

My advice? Consult with an experienced, successful medmal attorney in your area. Do so at your earliest convenience.

mamajoyc

Thanks for the consideration.

Hi:
Actually "waking with paralysis" is a very acurate description of what happened. The surgeon did tell me of the possibility of nerve damage, but coupled it with blood loss. As a result I saw it as a possibility (perhaps even a high possibility), but one that would only have very a short duration (like blood loss).

It does make sense that this is a possible outcome of the surgery, but i really only learned that after the surgery, when I investigated drop foot.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions.

mamajoyc:

lya

Hi:
Actually "waking with paralysis" is a very acurate description of what happened. The surgeon did tell me of the possibility of nerve damage, but coupled it with blood loss. As a result I saw it as a possibility (perhaps even a high possibility), but one that would only have very a short duration (like blood loss).

It does make sense that this is a possible outcome of the surgery, but i really only learned that after the surgery, when I investigated drop foot.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions.

mamajoyc:
If the problem is a result of blood loss, which deprives the nerve of necessary oxygen and nutrients, it may take a while, but you very well may recover fully.

I still advise you to consult with a medmal attorney to learn the merits of your claim and to learn the applicable statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">