• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr's Office Liable for Lost Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bfeilmeier

This question is not actually a malpractice question, but I wasn't sure where to post it, so I apologize if it is off topic. I visited my dr's office on Friday, May 1. I left the office and went to Walgreens to get my prescription filled, and noticed that I had forgotten my watch. I immediately called them to explain, and they went to look for the watch and said they had located it and would have it there for me. The next day I returned to pick up the watch, and it was nowhere to be found. Two nice ladies looked high and low for it, and the gal who had found it showed them where she put it, but it was no longer there. The following Monday, the 4th, I received an e-mail from the administrator to apologize and ask for a description of the watch. I sent her a picture of the watch, which is a Michael Kors watch, and she said she would keep asking people and try to determine where it had gone. A week later, I've heard nothing, and assume it's long gone by now. It wasn't a Rolex, but was a $275 watch that I will need to replace. My question is, is it out of line to ask them for compensation on the watch? Everyone I've spoken to thinks that it is well within reason, but wanted some advice from a legal standpoint.
Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This question is not actually a malpractice question, but I wasn't sure where to post it, so I apologize if it is off topic. I visited my dr's office on Friday, May 1. I left the office and went to Walgreens to get my prescription filled, and noticed that I had forgotten my watch. I immediately called them to explain, and they went to look for the watch and said they had located it and would have it there for me. The next day I returned to pick up the watch, and it was nowhere to be found. Two nice ladies looked high and low for it, and the gal who had found it showed them where she put it, but it was no longer there. The following Monday, the 4th, I received an e-mail from the administrator to apologize and ask for a description of the watch. I sent her a picture of the watch, which is a Michael Kors watch, and she said she would keep asking people and try to determine where it had gone. A week later, I've heard nothing, and assume it's long gone by now. It wasn't a Rolex, but was a $275 watch that I will need to replace. My question is, is it out of line to ask them for compensation on the watch? Everyone I've spoken to thinks that it is well within reason, but wanted some advice from a legal standpoint.
Thank you!
Sure, you can ask for the value of a used Michael Kors watch.

ecmst12

However, if you like your doctor, be aware that this will probably show as ill will towards the office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">