• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Lawsuit / malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denis19589

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Back Ground
I joined a diabetes drug testing program, to test a new version of a popular drug. I been on the study for 4 years, it is in the Phase 3, finals study. One of the side effects is a low percentage (.4%) chance of getting thyroid cancer.

Known Fact

I have been informed I was one of the unlucky ones who contacted thyroid cancer, stage 1.

There is no cancer history in my family, brothers sisters, parents and grand parents nor aunts and uncles. I never smoked nor chewed.

I have seen on TV were lawyers advertise for their firms to represent you in a drug lawsuit. The popular drug is involved in suits for it is know to cause Thyroid Cancer.

Question:

Is one better using those national law firms those who offer service for say YAZ drugs or using a local law firm who specialize in malpractice / drug liability suits (I may not be using correct terms sorry).

The Doctor of the study said the drug company will pay for the medical expenses, but need me to sign a paper... I go back for addition testing next couple of weeks,,,

What should I do? I am lost here,,,,,,,,,,,,,, out of my environment,

who's financial responsible,,, Sadly I have no medical insurance, nor the financial to fight the cancer or the big company.

las365

The Doctor of the study said the drug company will pay for the medical expenses, but need me to sign a paper...
Do not sign anything, it is likely to be a release of your claims.

If I were you I would want to hire an attorney who has experience in these types of cases. The "national" firms that advertise for cases generally have local firms that do the work. You can meet with as many attorneys as you wish and choose one that: 1) you feel confident in; and 2) will take your case.

Adam G

National firms just bring the cases in through advertising then refer them out to other firms that do the actual work.

What state are you in?

ecmst12

You voluntarily joined a study for an investigational medication with this as a known potential risk. You would have signed about a million papers saying you understand this risk and are choosing to participate anyway. The drug company is already willing to pay for the treatment you will need as a result of your participation. What more do you think you can get? I mean, feel free to talk to a lawyer or 2 but I really don't see you having a case for anything here and if your main concern is treatment for the cancer, you've already been offered that!

denis19589

thanks

Adam G I live in Montana.

las365: This is how I feel, I need to sart my searching this week

ecmst12: my main concern is getting treatment, finanical is not a big concern for me. I just don't want to be short changed. Large companies have to power to throw their weight around. SO more seeking aadvice finding some one to represent me, look out for me so to speak.

But wonder I did volunteer, BUt when a person take a perscription thats has disclamers on the package about side affect even serious ones, and end up getting a serius complacations from the medicates,,, are they not also willingly take the medication such as I did?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But wonder I did volunteer, BUt when a person take a perscription thats has disclamers on the package about side affect even serious ones, and end up getting a serius complacations from the medicates,,, are they not also willingly take the medication such as I did?
By being part of the study, you specifically acknowledged awareness of the possible side effects and specifically waived your rights for compensation based on those side effects.

ecmst12

When a person takes a prescription medication with KNOWN side effects and they experience known side effects, there is no lawsuit. The big class action suits you see advertised are generally because there is a side effect that was NOT known at the time they were prescribed the medicine and was discovered later.

bazim

Know your rights

You're entitled to learn more about your legal rights. Many firms offer free consultations. Take advantage of that. Look for medical malpractice attorneys just to be safe about getting the compensation/treatment you deserve.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is...EXACTLY what I said. What did you THINK I said that was not true?
He's playing the the semantics game.

You said that the person would not have a lawsuit.
Your (obvious) intent was to state that the person would not be successful in a lawsuit.

ETA: Before I get jumped on, I've played the game too ;)

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

That is...EXACTLY what I said. What did you THINK I said that was not true?
A known side effect does not imply that the victim knowingly assumed the risk.

Ever hear of a failure to warn?

Those two statements are only EXACTLY the same in your world.

You Are Guilty

A known side effect does not imply that the victim knowingly assumed the risk.

Ever hear of a failure to warn?

Those two statements are only EXACTLY the same in your world.
Not to be pedantic, but if it is a "known" side effect (as opposed to "a side effect"), where is the failure to warn claim coming from?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">